Cast the Light: Exhibition of Recent Drawings

Newberry

You are invited to a show of my recent drawings, Cast the Light, March 8th, in my loft in NY.

The nude, both male and female, plays a big role in my work. It's my view that the nude is one of the greatest subjects in the visual arts to express individuality. As soon as you put a figure in clothes you classify their period and status. I think of it as clothes tell you who someone purports to be, and the nude shows you who they are inside.

It is also interesting that Christian, Judaism, Muslim, and Postmodern ethical systems reject positive, nude ideals.

Anyway, the show is a series of charcoal nudes in hand painted oil frames, the color mixed uniquely for each image, uv glass or uv plexi glass, and 8-ply acid free mat.

Each of the works plays off the visual metaphors of cast light. For the realist, each image was set up to create those dramatic shadows.

Though the prices for my major works has climbed beyond $55,000 usd, these works will be priced very reasonably--made up of the model's fee, the framing, show expenses, and a little something for the artist.

For those of you that own original art you know what a special difference that makes in your lifestyle. For those that don't perhaps now is good time to find it out what the power of real art does in your possession.

On my site, www.michaelnewberry.com, I will be posting the finished, framed images through this week; and posting the prices the day of the exhibition.

Cheers,

Michael

lastlookE.jpg

Check Between the Past and the Future

guardiansE.jpg

The Guardians

Isn't there one person here who wishes an artist well with their exhibition? If not, you are all a stranger group than I had perceived before.

I wish you well. But I didn't even see your post until now. Don't take silence to mean anything more than . . . silence.

Bill

I certainly wish you well with your exhibition, Michael. I would go to see it if I could, but I can't. I'm sorry you're really upset as evidenced by what you've posted elsewhere, but these forums aren't typically oriented towards art and the world of art.

--Brant

I wish you well. But I didn't even see your post until now. Don't take silence to mean anything more than . . . silence.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the well wishes. About silence, it was not what I was looking for. So, I decided to be a little polemical, as that usually gets a response. Perhaps it is human nature, and perhaps because it can motivate people to do things Rand used it so well. In my ideal world I would hope that more people responded to positive achievements.

Michael

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the well wishes. About silence, it was not what I was looking for. So, I decided to be a little polemical, as that usually gets a response. Perhaps it is human nature, and perhaps because it can motivate people to do things Rand used it so well. In my ideal world I would hope that more people responded to positive achievements.

Michael

Michael -

Don't take it personally, please. Many of us live very busy lives, and our attention is pulled in many ways. Sadly, the result of this is that sometimes we are more likely to pause and comment on the internet rough equivalent of a trainwreck or car crash than on achievement.

Bill

I certainly wish you well with your exhibition, Michael. I would go to see it if I could, but I can't. I'm sorry you're really upset as evidenced by what you've posted elsewhere, but these forums aren't typically oriented towards art and the world of art.

--Brant

Thanks Brant!

But I gotta tell you I am not upset about anything, and I know what you are referring to. I was poking passivity, and bringing up what I think is an important issue: celebrating real time achievements--especially by people close to home.

There may also be another unseen factor, yesterday completed my second art review for TNI, it will come out in May--and my column is devoted to the achievements of other living artists.

Though you state that Objectivist forums are not orientated towards art, I think then that they have a problem to resolve, Rand was primarily an artist.

I very much appreciate your care in your post though, thanks again.

Michael

Michael -

Don't take it personally, please. Many of us live very busy lives, and our attention is pulled in many ways. Sadly, the result of this is that sometimes we are more likely to pause and comment on the internet rough equivalent of a trainwreck or car crash than on achievement.

Bill

Bill,

My response to Brant is in part a good reply here. I am not taking it personally, I am pointing out that indeed that focusing on wrecks are a waste of your valuable time--and that a far better alternative is spend more time with art, or other quality stuff, that can represent what you are for--it will add immeasurably to the quality of your life. Of course you are absolutely free to do anything you like about this but I know, for certain, that what you invest your time in invests your spirit.

Michael

Edited by Newberry

Michael -

Bill

Bill,

My response to Brant is in part a good reply here. I am not taking it personally, I am pointing out that indeed that focusing on wrecks are a waste of your valuable time--and that a far better alternative is spend more time with art, or other quality stuff, that can represent what you are for--it will add immeasurably to the quality of your life. Of course you are absolutely free to do anything you like about this but I know, for certain, that what you invest your time in invests your spirit.

Michael

I think we are in agreement. Note my use of the word "Sadly" in my last sentence above.

Bill