Observations - trip to Brunei

Just some quick observations on a trip to Brunei...

I recently flew to Brunei on a business trip, flying on Royal Brunei Airlines.

I thought I'd share briefly about the experience.

I show up at the gate 40 minutes before scheduled depart time (10 minutes before scheduled START of boarding) - I was in the courtesy lounge for Business Class. The sign is flashing "LAST CALL!" I speed up, noting no passengers in wait, ask them whats going on - and am reassured "no problem." They just decided to board early. They could have reduced my panic by not putting up a LAST CALL sign BEFORE boarding was scheduled to start.

35 minutes later, time to depart was near. Suddenly, the monitors dropped down and prayers (in Arabic, with English translation) scrolled, with Arabic voice on the PA system - and about 1/3 of those on the plane praying in unison.

I opened the flight magazine, and flipped to the back. I found the schedule for the five Islamic prayer times each day...

It's a different world. In some ways. But one might consider the number of ways religion intrudes into public affairs - prayers before football games, etc... in other countries.

Bill

Interesting post.

Here in the US we are told to show up ninety minutes before depature time.

How do the worshippers figure out which way is Mecca.

Chris - in the US we don't show up AT THE GATE 90 minutes before departure time. At most airports there usually would be at least 2 flights to depart from a given gate in a 90 minute period before your flight. At the airport - yes.

I'm talking about the counter at THE GATE, not the check-in counter.

Interesting question on direction. There may have been indicators of which I am not aware. Or perhaps a special dispensation to allow facing the cockpit as a surrogate...

Bill (smiling)