GOP: God's Official Party

syrakusos

At least what is what the bumper sticker said. It was not yet on a car, but for sale at the Michigan Republican Party convention in Lansing Feb 15-16, 2008. I participated in the convention as a delegate from Precinct #1 Ann Arbor Township, elected in the general primary August 2006.

Other bumper stickers for sale read:

1. For English

2. For Deportation

Republican Women

Like Men

There are Americans

And then there are Liberals

KFC Recipe for Hillary

2 Fat Thighs

2 Small Breasts

Left Wing

10 out of 10 Terrorists

Vote Democrat

Abortion and Euthanasia

Don't Liberals Just Kill Ya?

Edited by Michael E. Marotta

The convention opened, appropriately enough, with an invocation by a Protestant minister who -- among other bon mots -- called on God to deliver us from liberal humanism and to guide our party in its conservative principles in the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ.

That the convention was held on Friday night and Saturday morning might have correlated with the total absence of yarmulkes on any of the 1000 or so men in attendance, though I have good reason to believe that some Republicans are Jewish and many Jews are Republican. Obviously, Objectivists are not the only ones making a tough call on the GOP.

I often attend three-day numismatic conventions. At the MSNS, they have a prayer breakfast on Sunday morning separate from the regular Sunday morning breakfast (which often opens with a prayer as well). The convention starts with a ribbon cutting and a rush to the tables.

Those who unashamedly pursue money are true secularists. Perhaps the Ayn Rand Center or the Atlas Council could get a table at ANA fairs.

Edited by Michael E. Marotta