Giuliani dropping out?

Kat

McCain wins in Florida; Giuliani set to quit

Fresh off his victory in the Florida primary, Sen. John McCain is poised to take another big prize. Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani plans to drop out and endorse McCain, two GOP sources said. That would give McCain added momentum heading into a debate Wednesday and next week's Super Tuesday contests. full story

It sounds like disappointing news for some of us here. We'll see what happens. Is there any reason Objectivists should support McCain, I haven't noticed anyone really supporting him, but he seems to be collecting endorsements and seems to be the frontrunner on the republican side. What's his angle anyway?

Kat

McCain wins in Florida; Giuliani set to quit

Fresh off his victory in the Florida primary, Sen. John McCain is poised to take another big prize. Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani plans to drop out and endorse McCain, two GOP sources said. That would give McCain added momentum heading into a debate Wednesday and next week's Super Tuesday contests. full story

It sounds like disappointing news for some of us here. We'll see what happens. Is there any reason Objectivists should support McCain, I haven't noticed anyone really supporting him, but he seems to be collecting endorsements and seems to be the frontrunner on the republican side. What's his angle anyway?

Kat

McCain is a hard-line warrior. He'll probably attack Iran, threaten Russia and China. Observe that McCain needs a teleprompter to give 'impromptu' remarks.

W.

Kat

I will support McCain because he appears to be a killer. My kind of guy. We are surrounded by bloodthirsty thugs. We need a butcher-in-chief.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Bob,

Give it a little time. Hardline Objectivists should be joining you before too long. Although they will not say it, I think it will be for the reason you gave.

Michael

Gotta hand it to TAS for at least coming out and having a position. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but ARI is evidently too cowardly to do even that. Evidently Ron Paul has them scared to death--they dare not agree or disagree, and if true the reason is obvious: to agree with Paul is to show how ridiculously wrong Peikoff was; to disagree is to have to face arguments that they cannot possibly win.

On the other hand, all Robert Bidinotto has done to defend his position against Ron Paul is huff and puff and bluster and then flounce out of the forum when challenged.

Shayne

Shayne,

If anyone, regardless of who it is, starts a campaign to nuke Iran, I suspect ARI will come out in support of him.

About Robert Bidinotto, he normally presents his in-depth views on the venues under his control, i.e., his blog and TNI, althought sometimes he posts briefly at some different places (and OL is honored he chooses here as one of them). I am not in alignment with several of Robert's views, nor he with some of mine, but I have heard nothing about him flouncing. On the contrary, when he feels he should speak up on OL, he comes here and does so.

I don't speak for him, but I imagine that he thinks if a person does not know his position and arguments after reading TNI and his blog, getting into a heated argument on a forum about politics will not clarify them more. Most of the posts I have seen him make are generally links to where he has made his case.

You have been presenting an excellent case for Ron Paul over time. In terms of ideas, I think your positive contributions are much more effective than calling Robert out for a duel, just like I think he has been convincing his own readers much more by presenting a good case than engaging in forum hostilities.

I don't see either of you convincing the other at this point, so the whole purpose of a duel would only be to fight each other. That might be entertaining to watch, but it would have zero impact on those who agree with Robert and those who agree with you.

I suggest keeping up the good work. I admire your efforts and dedication.

Barring a few lapses where the level was lowered (on all sides), I love the fact that the principles involved are getting such intelligent public airing through intelligent challenge and defense. People are actually reading and listening to this stuff.

The principles involved will only become stronger in the public mind this way regardless of who wins the current election. When was the last time you heard a mainstream newscaster talking about individual rights or morality other than religious statements?

I am not trying to be politically agnostic. I fully believe that the medium-to-long term benefits of the differences heatedly debated around Ron Paul will far outweigh the short-term inconveniences. The deep bells of fundamentals are ringing out to the four winds and that is a very good thing.

Michael

Kat

I will support McCain because he appears to be a killer. My kind of guy. We are surrounded by bloodthirsty thugs. We need a butcher-in-chief.

Ba'al Chatzaf

You remind of Danny from "The Believer". Not in that you resemble him but because of what you make me want to do.

A few years in a camp give you a permanent hard on for genocide there Robert?

Actually no, you remind me more of Dov from Exodus.

Making up for something?

Something you feel you may have enjoyed a little too much?

Shayne,

I've known Robert Bidinotto for many years, and I think Michael's description of his modus operandi is correct:

About Robert Bidinotto, he normally presents his in-depth views on the venues under his control, i.e., his blog and TNI, althought sometimes he posts briefly at some different places (and OL is honored he chooses here as one of them). I am not in alignment with several of Robert's views, nor he with some of mine, but I have heard nothing about him flouncing. On the contrary, when he feels he should speak up on OL, he comes here and does so.

I don't speak for him, but I imagine that he thinks if a person does not know his position and arguments after reading TNI and his blog, getting into a heated argument on a forum about politics will not clarify them more. Most of the posts I have seen him make are generally links to where he has made his case.

I don't agree with some of Robert B's positions, either, and I hope he will come to see more value in the activities of some of us regular forum participants... but he is consistent and straightforward in his presentation. Robert B does what he says he is going to do.

Robert Campbell

Michael,

Thanks for the positive remarks, I appreciate it.

It's true that I'm not going to be convinced by Bidinotto, it's because I'm right and he's wrong and that's why he won't answer my points.

Shayne