What Objectivism means (or meant) to a non-objectivist.

It's a chicken, dammit, and you can't get one without an egg.

That said, I agree that it seems (from the outside, via biographies) that inventors have a conceptual understanding of the phenomenon they are exploring. Franklin and the "electric fluid" for instance. He had this (for lack of a better word) "intuition" that there were not two kinds of electricity but only one and that when it flowed from one place to another, it compiled a surplus and left a deficit, which he called plus and minus. For about a century or more, most practicing electricians figured that Franklin got it "wrong" that he assigned the signs improperly, but chemists prefer Franklin's way of thinking that the "positive" is that which goes to the "positive" electrode, even thought that would actually be the "negatively" charged ions. The point is that the practical applications, the day to to day working mechanisms were independent of all that. You could have in 1810 built up a pretty good "electric pile" -- as Volta did -- without having the right theory, which Volta did not

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is only that theories are based on experience. There is no such thing as "a priori" knowledge.

Well, I for one do not see how your posts about this lead to your conclusion, which I agree with. It is not a question of "the right" theory, it is a theory that is required. The examples you used don't contradict that one requires some sort of theory before one can construct a device of some sort. Call it a working model instead.

It's a chicken, dammit, and you can't get one without an egg.

Shouting doesn't make an argument more convincing, that is a childish idea. General semanticist got it right with a normal font.

I'll bet anyone I can get a chicken without an egg. :) You can't get an egg without a chicken--no, I can do that too.

--Brant

Shouting doesn't make an argument more convincing, that is a childish idea. General semanticist got it right with a normal font.

It was for humor, obviously ... but I see that was lost... Whether you need a theory to understand facts or facts to construct a theory is a "chicken and egg" situation. The mind -- at least my mind -- deals with both at the same time. That is what it means to understand what you perceive.

The next time that I intend to be humorous, I will more obvious. :D

I'll bet anyone I can get a chicken without an egg. :) You can't get an egg without a chicken--no, I can do that too. --Brant

I concede the point on empirical evidence. :D I have three eggs in the fridge which I got without a chicken ... and I have what is left of a chicken breast in there, too, and as you say, without the putatively prerequisite eggs. The retail grocer was my Maxwell's Demon.

~ A good breast omelette has to come from one hell of a 'chick.' ('Course, there's 'road-kill', but...)

~ If THAT doesn't 'egg' anyone to continue (not that anyone should) this...umbilical...thread, I don't know what will.

~ As far as 'theory' and 'evidence' goes, dealing with both is the same as playing and calculating baseball ballistics...at the same time. Improving either requires the other, but...which is to be started with (aka 'fundamentals') is the bottom line: empirical-observation/experimentation vs. ratiocination-of-observations. Hmmm...'chicken-and-egg' again?

LLAP

J:D