ARI folks and Ron Paul

Mark

ARI, the Objective Standard, and Capitalism Magazine (sometimes an ARI writer will publish an article on capmag.com and nowhere else) have been utterly silent about Ron Paul’s candidacy.

I don’t belong to the Harry Binswanger List but an advertisement from it says the title for November 4 was

Saint (Ron) Paul.

It doesn’t sound good. Can anyone here tell us what Mr. Binswanger said in that post? Please be as precise as possible if you can’t quote him outright.

With all due respect, Mark — and I've been one of the few defending your own project around here —

Why should you, or we, give two hoots in hell about what Binswanger preaches to his private guru sessions? About anything?

One of the few things more stupid than using Objectivist insights as truncheons to bash others, as the ARIans are enthusiastic about doing, is to do so in a private forum where people have paid for the privilege. When only the hired choir can even hear the sermon, what's the point?

We should call him Harry Galambos, and be done with it. (If anyone here doesn't know who A.J. Galambos was, and his classic O-fringe wackiness, speak up.)

With all due respect, Mark — and I've been one of the few defending your own project around here —

Why should you, or we, give two hoots in hell about what Binswanger preaches to his private guru sessions? About anything?

One of the few things more stupid than using Objectivist insights as truncheons to bash others, as the ARIans are enthusiastic about doing, is to do so in a private forum where people have paid for the privilege. When only the hired choir can even hear the sermon, what's the point?

We should call him Harry Galambos, and be done with it. (If anyone here doesn't know who A.J. Galambos was, and his classic O-fringe wackiness, speak up.)

Hi Greybird,

I once had a friend who had become a Galambosian. He wouldn't tell me what Galambos said because his ideas were owned by him and one had to pay to take the course to find out.

The fellow who recommended Atlas SHrugged to me years ago had presented the essence of Objectivism to me first much to my delight. A non mystical philosophy whose tenets I had always believed.

On another subject re: Ron Paul. One of his advocates has taken out a full page ad in the Wed Thur edition of USA Today. It is on the second page of the second section.

I had received an email from another Ron Paul supporter discouraging others already in the movement from buying a copy because that would prevent someone new from discovering Ron Paul. Instead he suggested you tell the storeowner to keep unbought copies instead of sending them back and that you would promise to buy them up.

I will post that Ron Paul ad where many will see it.

I would love to see the next donation generate twice as much money as the Nov 5th fundraiser. That would get the attention of the media again. It is known that the 4.38M dollars raised on V for Vendetta day, Nov 5th, was from about 36K donators. If that number grows substantially as well with each subsequent fundraiser Ron Paul might just move up to the first tier as a challenger to the smug Romney and Guiliani.

Ron Paul is certainly not lily white for those of us seeking the ideal candidate with consistent principled positions. But I would hope that his participation does liven up the debate and challenge the status quo especially in the realms where we do agree with him, economics, limited government, Gold standard, repeal of the federal income tax and abolition of the dreaded IRS, etc.

Enjoy your turkey today.

galt

Edited by galtgulch

I guess I'm curious what the ARI folks think about Dr. Paul. Not curious enough to pay for the privilege of finding out.

It is worth noting that Dr Paul is still rising in the polls in Iowa and New Hampshire. Dr Paul is still being reported in single digets in both places.

His fund raising continues to be impressive.

ARI, the Objective Standard, and Capitalism Magazine (sometimes an ARI writer will publish an article on capmag.com and nowhere else) have been utterly silent about Ron Paul’s candidacy.

There's a reason for their silence, Mark. It's called dishonesty, cowardice, intellectual vacuity, and moral depravity. Their Prophet -- who they don't really understand or even like -- aboriginally condemned libertarianism. Now it's an Article of Faith that they must too. But they don't much know why.

And how could they? Ron Paul is basically a noble freedom-fighter and kind of like a superior version of Barry Goldwater -- who Ayn Rand rather loved. So the brain-dead soul-less cultists are very confused. They don't know what their Prophet and Faith requires of them. And certainly independent cerebration and rational thought on the matter are out of the question.

So they stay silent. These robots and lemmings are waiting for high priest Binswanger and others to "enlighten" them. Then they'll head right over the cliff.

There is a good discussion of Galambos in Radicals for Capitalism. As a personal note I am very suspicious of someone who tells you I have a great set of ideas but the only way you can find out about them is to pay me a lot of money. Also after I tell you about them you can't tell anyone else about them.

Edited by Chris Grieb

There is a good discussion of Galambos in Radicals for Capitalism. As a personal note I am very suspicious of someone who tells you I have a great set of ideas but the only way you can find out about them is to pay me a lot of money. Also after I tell you about them you can't tell anyone else about them.

Kudos Chris -- You said it before I could! ;)

Virginia

• 2 months later...

There's a reason for their silence, Mark. It's called dishonesty, cowardice, intellectual vacuity, and moral depravity. Their Prophet -- who they don't really understand or even like -- aboriginally condemned libertarianism. Now it's an Article of Faith that they must too. But they don't much know why.

And how could they? Ron Paul is basically a noble freedom-fighter and kind of like a superior version of Barry Goldwater -- who Ayn Rand rather loved. So the brain-dead soul-less cultists are very confused. They don't know what their Prophet and Faith requires of them. And certainly independent cerebration and rational thought on the matter are out of the question.

So they stay silent. These robots and lemmings are waiting for high priest Binswanger and others to "enlighten" them. Then they'll head right over the cliff.

Excellent analysis.

Shayne

SJW, I haven't been here for awhile so I don't know whether anyone has posted the plans of the Ron Paul campaign. As I understand it they believe correctly that the winners of the various primaries are awarded only virtual delegates. Real human delegates are subsequently elected at each states caucus or the like. For example, there are ten Congressional districts in MA and each will have a caucus, April 5th, where any registered Republican can show up, get nominated, speak for up to three minutes, and then get elected to become a delegate to the national nominating convention in Minneapolis in September.

The hope is that McCain will not get the requisite number of delegates votes on the first ballot. Delegates will then be free, unless they come from a state where their rules might bind them for the second or third ballot. Expectations are high among Ron Paul advocates for him to be chosen as the official nominee of the Republican Party.

Ron Paul's official website is www.ronpaul2008.com and there are videos listed on the menu under press/media some of which are live feed when he is giving a speech. They are attempting to get at least one precinct leader in each of the 180,000 precincts in the country and there are currently 18,894 so far. A counter on the site shows over 6,095,000 dollars raised so far this quarter.

Ron Paul has indicated that this pro freedom movement will survive beyond this election whether he is elected or not. I suggest that Objectivists join and influence the thinking of Ron Paul supporters where we disagree and enhance their awareness and understanding of various issues where we agree with his positions.

Why wouldn't an Objectivist support Ron Paul's candidacy? He is the most pro freedom, individualistic candidate we are likely to see in our lifetimes. Sure he is mistaken in his position on a woman's right to choose and his religiosity is evident at times. But his advocates are drawn to this movement and are not all as religious as he is. I expect that many are open to learning what we have to offer.

Wm

In my post 15 I said that Ron Paul might have trouble in the primary for his House seat. A report on Hit & Run, the Reason blog, suggests that this is not correct. While I have been less that enthuisatic about Dr Paul's Presidential bid I hope he stays in House for a long time.

Edited by Chris Grieb

Excellent analysis.

Shayne

Shayne: You have a good mind. How could you state... "Excellent analysis." ... in response to a clearly agenda driven statement. Did I miss the analysis part?

As a teacher of argument, at 20, with no "education" courses, I actually taught my students. I would have been particularly hard on you for your lack of "critical analytical thinking" - I would have suggested that you take the negative in a debate of an issue that you personally hated.

The tools of critical thinking are in very short supply today.

You are better than that comment.

Adam