[Atlasphere] In Favor of Polite and Respectful Dissent

O-Land News Junkie

Soon we’ll be publishing Debi Ghate’s new tribute to the (selfish) meaning of Thanksgiving. With that in mind, a new column by David Hawpe in the Louisville Courier-Journal, titled “Atlas shrugged, but thousands of volunteers boost Every1Reads,” caught my attention.

Hawpe writes partly in response to Ghate’s op-ed, which — like all of ARI’s op-eds — was distributed to media outlets throughout the country.

Rand has many dissenters, and I’ve developed an interest in the way that people disagree with her. Some dismiss her outright. Some are rude.

Others, though, respectfully acknowledge her position — while respectfully disagreeing. Hawpe’s column is an example of the latter, and I tip my hat to him for that.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

http://www.theatlasphere.com/metablog/700.php

I dont think Hawpe is completely alien to the Randian position, after all as he says,

"I say, tell that to the 7,900 volunteers who spend their own time and gas money, visiting schools and reading with kids, and not because it will produce any material payback.

What they get is a part in the the heart-stopping millisecond when a child suddenly gets it -- in the glorious moment when a young mind suddenly catches fire -- in the awesome hour when potential and possibility at last begin to unfold.

Maybe that kind of joy is rationally selfish."

And I would say that kind of joy is rationally selfish. After all, material payback is only one kind of value. There are other kinds of value.