Barry Goldwater Jr Endorses Ron Paul for President

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/press-rel...-goldwater-jr/

Barry Goldwater Jr Endorses Ron Paul

November 16, 2007 10:16 am EST

ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA—Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul today gained a public endorsement from Barry M. Goldwater, Jr.

“America is at a crossroads,” said Mr. Goldwater. “We have begun to stray from our traditions and must get back to what has made us the greatest nation on earth or we will lose much of the freedom we hold dear. Ron Paul stands above all of the other candidates in his commitment to liberty and to America.”

“Leading America is difficult, and I know Ron Paul is the man for the job,” he added.

Mr. Goldwater is the son of the late former Republican presidential candidate and Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater. Barry Goldwater, Jr. served in the House of Representatives for six terms with Texas Congressman Paul, and is currently on the Board of Directors of the Goldwater Institute. After representing northern Los Angeles County in Washington, D.C. for 14 years, Mr. Goldwater retired from politics in 1983 to pursue a successful career in business and humanitarian ventures.

“The Ron Paul campaign is exceptionally honored by Mr. Goldwater’s endorsement,” said Paul campaign manager Lew Moore. “Dr. Paul and Congressman Goldwater fought together in the Congress for the ideals of limited constitutional government that Mr. Goldwater’s father so tirelessly advocated. The Goldwaters have left an indelible mark on the Republican Party, and theirs is a legacy which Congressman Paul will certainly inherit as President.”

The late Barry M. Goldwater, Sr. sparked the modern conservative movement and was the Republican Party presidential nominee in 1964.

Well much to my surprise and delight my son informed my wife and myself that he believes that the best person to go up against Hillary Rodham Clinton in the presidential election would be none other than Ron Paul!

He thinks that none of the alleged shortcomings which I mentioned to him which I have read on OL amount to anything to worry about at all.

He believes that Ron Paul would be able to win if he ran against Hillary and would be certain to beat her in any debate on any subject.

It remains to be seen if Ron Paul's advance in the polls will continue to move him up into contention in the first tier. The more one thinks that success is possible the more one would be willing to do to help it become a reality.

galt

It remains to be seen if Ron Paul's advance in the polls will continue to move him up into contention in the first tier. The more one thinks that success is possible the more one would be willing to do to help it become a reality.

galt

I don't blame you for having political fantasies. Reality is so damned grim and ugly.

Ralph Nader will be president before Ron Paul. Forget it. It is not going to happen.

Ba'al Chatzaf

galt

I don't blame you for having political fantasies. Reality is so damned grim and ugly.

Ralph Nader will be president before Ron Paul. Forget it. It is not going to happen.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Here we are sitting on the antidote for societies ills and the number of those who are learning about Objectivism and Austrian Economics is certainly growing and finding its way into the universities. It may still be too early in the game but the day may come when the proverbial successful political action will be attainable.

You continue to scoff and present your pessimistic outlook. Do you have a solution or a plan that would work? Or do you expect that we are doomed and that a totalitarian dictatorship here is inevitable?

galt

You continue to scoff and present your pessimistic outlook. Do you have a solution or a plan that would work? Or do you expect that we are doomed and that a totalitarian dictatorship here is inevitable?

galt

Being realistic is not scoffing. We are on the treadmill to oblivion and the folks are not likely to get off. As long as they believe the Great Reckoning will not come in their lifetime they will continue to do what they do. I do not expect dictatorship. I expect economic ruination. From which we just might rebuild a better order. Or maybe not. We shall see if we live long enough. I am in my seventies. I expect to be dead and dust before the Great Reckoning. I feel sorry from my children, grand-children and great-grandchildren. They will have to figure out what to do. It is no longer my problem.

You will; see that in the coming year, election year, Ron Paul is a blip. The electorate will not eliminate the welfare state voluntarily. It will have to collapse of its own weight. And there is not a bloody thing either your or I can do about it. The Titanic is sinking. It hit the Iceberg over 100 years ago. Like Francisco said to Rearden: you made a great speech it is is a hundred years too late.

The only thing you can do is cover your arse and that of your children and great grand children as best you can. Bury some treasure for them to dig up. Give them survival lessons. Something useful. Neither you nor I are going to change the system.

Ba'al Chatzaf

galt

It is no longer my problem. ....

.... Neither you nor I are going to change the system.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I sympathize with the helplessness you demonstrate. I consider myself to be a realist too. But I find it more appealing to have a different attitude. First of all we know, I for one know, that there is a way of life which has been made explicit by Ayn Rand, which would enable mankind to make the changes necessary to our system of government to avert the catastrophe you anticipate.

Second of all, there is a division of labor involved. It is not necessary for any one of us to solve all the problems we face singlehandedly. Each of us who know may choose to do nothing or to do whatever we choose to help the cause.

Third of all, the population isn't stagnant. There is always another younger generation growing up which needs to know either what we know or to submit to the worn out ideas which have gotten us into the mess we are in.

They need to hear what we have to teach them. No matter how old any of us become each of us follows our own unique path. Each of us will encounter different people some of whom might be open to hearing what we know.

Perhaps you see my point by now.

Over the years our numbers have grown and we are everywhere around the world. Ayn Rand's books continue to be published and read. Advocates of her philosophy do their share to pass the torch. There are more teachers in colleges and universities who have devoted their careers to enlightening their students about the knowledge Objectivism imparts. There are more and more think tanks and publications which help to spread the perspectives of free market theory, Austrian economics and Objectivism.

The dialog is changing to include our perspective. That means that millions of people are becoming aware of our unique way of looking at the world. Sooner or later, if we do not lose heart and enthusiasm, our ideas will be the predominant ones. I do not expect to live forever but I cherish those moments when some young person appears to understand and value the ideas of Ayn Rand, von Mises, etc.

I wish you live to be one hundred and twenty.

galt

Edited by galtgulch

galt

Being realistic is not scoffing. We are on the treadmill to oblivion and the folks are not likely to get off. As long as they believe the Great Reckoning will not come in their lifetime they will continue to do what they do. I do not expect dictatorship. I expect economic ruination. From which we just might rebuild a better order. Or maybe not. We shall see if we live long enough. I am in my seventies. I expect to be dead and dust before the Great Reckoning. I feel sorry from my children, grand-children and great-grandchildren. They will have to figure out what to do. It is no longer my problem.

You will; see that in the coming year, election year, Ron Paul is a blip. The electorate will not eliminate the welfare state voluntarily. It will have to collapse of its own weight. And there is not a bloody thing either your or I can do about it. The Titanic is sinking. It hit the Iceberg over 100 years ago. Like Francisco said to Rearden: you made a great speech it is is a hundred years too late.

The only thing you can do is cover your arse and that of your children and great grand children as best you can. Bury some treasure for them to dig up. Give them survival lessons. Something useful. Neither you nor I are going to change the system.

Ba'al Chatzaf

The world is getting better and better.

--Brant

The world is getting better and better.

--Brant

In some ways yes, in other ways no. Over half the human race lives in squalor and is plagued by disease.

In the United States we have the highest percentage of the population in prison compared to other industrial countries.

The world may be getting better and better but our economy is not. Our rate of indebtedness is close to the highest in the world. What will happen when the bill comes due? Either the money will be degraded and wipe out savings or bankruptcy will become rampant.

The degree of government involvement in the ordinary life of the people in the U.S. increases yearly. Check the size of -The Federal Registry-.

It is highly unlikely that the American people will voluntarily dismantle the welfare state. People are much too used to getting handouts, preferences and special "programs".

Ba'al Chatzaf

Over half the human race lives in squalor and is plagued by disease.

Bob,

Heh.

It used to be much higher.

Michael

That is true. On the other hand poverty has increased in Africa (for example) over the last thirty years. A rich source for AIDS and Ebola which may come over here to haunt us (carried on jet planes).

The world is a mixed bag. Some parts are decent to live in others are not.

In our part, the influence of the government is increasing. Objective measure: number of pages in -The Federal Register-. These are the specific procedures and rules under which the government gets into every nook and cranny of our lives. Is this an improvement?

Personally, I am only interested in how the United States is doing. Why? Because this is where me and mine live. Is the U.S. getting better? If so in what regards or respects. Do you consider government regulation and interference a bad thing? I do. Do you?

The quality of our public schools (where most United Stateseans are schooled) has been declining for decades. Mathematical innumeracy is increasing. Scientific illiteracy is increasing. More Americans disbelieve the Theory of Evolution than did forty years ago. Over half the American population believes in angels, demons and satanic influence. Is this a good thing? The rate of invention in the U.S. is slowing down. Is this a good thing? I do not think so. Fewer native born and raised Americans are going into technological and scientific careers. That means we have to depend on foreign born and raised brains. Is this a good thing?

From a purely intellectual p.o.v. I think this country is on the treadmill to oblivion. Eventually we may end up as the bread basket of the world. American wheat and corn is of very good quality. Value added industrial goods will be made elsewhere. At this moment the leading automobile producer in the world is Toyota, a Japanese firm. Americans are hired to put together cars from parts that are manufactured in Japan and are designed in Japan. General Motors and Ford are and have been going down the crapper. If we survive as an industrial country it will be because of our (comparatively) cheap labor, as our real wages decline. Where is all that Yankee Ingenuity?

Heh. To quote you.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Bob,

I heard Alan Greenspan speak recently. He mentioned that the USA is turning into a predominantly information society and that manufacturing USA goods is migrating elsewhere because of cost and lack of information sources/income in those countries. He considers "information society" to be more advanced or on a higher level than "industrial society."

I also saw a speech by Seth Godin where he blasted Ford for lying to the public about vehicle safety. Lack of credibility is what is undoing that company and nothing else.

Michael

Bob,

I also saw a speech by Seth Godin where he blasted Ford for lying to the public about vehicle safety. Lack of credibility is what is undoing that company and nothing else.

Michael

That and shitty design. Remember the Edsel? The Ford Edsel is emblematic of what is wrong with the American auto industry.

As for being an information society, they can play that game just as well as us in Bangelore, and at lower wages too.

Ba'al Chatzaf