Corruption

James Heaps-Nelson

Watching international politics and given the current crisis in Pakistan under Musharraf, I'm reflecting on a conversation I had with a Pakistani friend of mine some time back while I was working in the Bay Area. I wondered how Benazir Bhutto could be so hated by a large fraction of Pakistani's given that she seemed to be an attractive alternative to some of the Islamist extremists and the old dictatorial regime of Zia al Haq.

My friend smiled and asked me if I knew anything about Bhutto's husband. What's that got to do with anything I asked. He sardonically replied that her husband had a nickname in Pakistan "Mr. Ten Percent". It turns out that Bhutto's husband raked off ten percent of all of the new business deals in the whole country of Pakistan.

Jim

I just looked at wikipedia and realized that Benazir Bhutto is the daughter of the leader of the old regime before Zia. Her father was tried and hanged by the Zia regime.

Jim

Jim;

Is the husband still alive?

I knew about Benazir Bhutto's father's departure from this life.

Yes he is. He just got out of jail a couple of years ago, although he has health problems related to his imprisonment.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?p...3-4-2005_pg7_35

Jim

Jim;

Is the husband still alive?

I knew about Benazir Bhutto's father's departure from this life.

Yes he is. He just got out of jail a couple of years ago, although he has health problems related to his imprisonment.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?p...3-4-2005_pg7_35

Jim

Jim; I am shocked. Jail in Pakistan is bad for your health.