Simon Schama's PBS series on Art

galtgulch

I wonder if anyone else is watching this series which has been showing the last week or two. Each is narrated by Simon Schama who brings them to life.

I particularly enjoyed the one devoted to the sculptor Bernini because his creations are so marvelous. Naturally the Ecstasy of St Theresa is irresistible.

galt

I wonder if anyone else is watching this series which has been showing the last week or two. Each is narrated by Simon Schama who brings them to life.

I particularly enjoyed the one devoted to the sculptor Bernini because his creations are so marvelous. Naturally the Ecstasy of St Theresa is irresistible.

galt

I accidentally tuned into his program on the English artist J.M.W. Turner. It was first rate.

I have seen other series in which Schama has narrated, in particular his history of Britain. Schama is not only a first rate historian in his own right, but he is a first rate presenter and narrator. He was the chief writer for his series on the history of Britain.

In one of the programs of the series, Schama discusses Oliver Cromwell, the overthrow of Charles I and the institution of the Commonwealth of which Cromwell became Lord Protector. In one particular segment Schama is sitting in synagogue in London with a skull cap on (a kippah) saying that he had a personal reason for gratitude to Cromwell. It turns out that Cromwell ended the ban on Jews in England and encouraged them to come back. One of Simon Schma's ancestors was one such Jew. Very touching. And I never knew (prior to that) that Schama was Jewish.

In another segment Schama recited Queen Elizabeth I's speech to the English troops at Tilsbury, where the waited for the Spaniards to come ashore (this was the time of the Armada in 1588). What an address that was, too! Hoo Wee! It was as moving as Henry the V's address to the toops prior to the Battle of Agincourt.

Schama has this marvelous talent to getting at the nub or essence of people and events. I will watch any series that he either creates or narrates.

I would also recommend Schema's book -Citizens- which is a history of the French Revolution.l

Ba'al Chatzaf

This sounds like an interesting series. Thanks for the recommendation.

I also want to see the history of Great Britain.

I liked Citizens about the French Revolution.

Galt and Bob; Thanks again for the recommendations.