John Dewey Public Education vs. ??

Selene

John Dewey's Pedagogic Creed, [link below] is one of the top ten most chilling statements that I have ever read. I could have pulled out atwenty (20) paragraphs that make my blood run cold. If you have never read it in its entirety, you should.

I remember reading his "common child" statement at a school board meeting concerning a new "gifted and talented" program being proposed by the hard core political elements, e.g. the teacher's and para-professional's unions, the President's Councel of the district PTA's and the "Church group", which included Orthodox Jewish, Protestant and Catholic schools in the district

I am searching for the exact quote which basically argued that:

We must create the common child; once we separate/remove the child from his/her God, family and country, we can create the common child.

Ahh, the Elsworth line to Peter - one neck, one collar....

http://www.infed.org/archives/e-texts/e-dew-pc.htm

Barbara; A dear friend is teaching at a state university. Every night she complains to me about how unready her students are for the university. I think this is a holdover from John Dewey.

Barbara; A dear friend is teaching at a state university. Every night she complains to me about how unready her students are for the university. I think this is a holdover from John Dewey.

I have been teaching at the University (Graduate or Undergraduate) level in technical subjects since 1975, with the exception of 4 years spent in industry. I can say that the quality of preparation of students for college level courses has been declining over that time period. This is something on which my colleagues are in broad agreement.

Alfonso

Perhaps you could elaborate on this Chris?

Yep, Dewey is a monster.

He basically sees children as tools for the mass. His philosophy is utter poison. He seems to deny individual selves, or individuals as thinkers and creators. His ideas do not account for innovation or novelty, merely constant repetition of Veblenist habits and routines.

Montessori is the best alternative to Dewey.

• 3 months later...
Yep, Dewey is a monster.

He basically sees children as tools for the mass. His philosophy is utter poison. He seems to deny individual selves, or individuals as thinkers and creators. His ideas do not account for innovation or novelty, merely constant repetition of Veblenist habits and routines.

I have a granddaughter in a Montessori school. She will be 5 years old in May 2008. She has been in the Montessori system since she was 1 year old.

The Montessori system does it differently. It allows students to experience reality rather than telling them what it believes students need to know.

Yep, Dewey is a monster.

I love the Montessori approach to learning. My daughter went to a Montessori preschool and is now attending a Montessori elementary school. My wife and I really love this school. Based on its educational philosophy, her school could perfectly well use a picture of Dewey as a dartboard. But that would be very contrary to Montessori philosophy!

Martin

I remember when I was at NBI in the eearly '60's the book being recommended was:

How to Raise a Brighter Child by Dr. Joan Beck.

John Dewey's Pedagogic Creed, [link below] is one of the top ten most chilling statements that I have ever read. I could have pulled out atwenty (20) paragraphs that make my blood run cold. If you have never read it in its entirety, you should.

I remember reading his "common child" statement at a school board meeting concerning a new "gifted and talented" program being proposed by the hard core political elements, e.g. the teacher's and para-professional's unions, the President's Councel of the district PTA's and the "Church group", which included Orthodox Jewish, Protestant and Catholic schools in the district

I am searching for the exact quote which basically argued that:

We must create the common child; once we separate/remove the child from his/her God, family and country, we can create the common child.

Ahh, the Elsworth line to Peter - one neck, one collar....

http://www.infed.org/archives/e-texts/e-dew-pc.htm

John Dewey was Paul to Horace Mann's Jesus. If you really want to hit on the source of the evil, deal with Horace Mann who was so impressed by Prussia that he wanted the U.S. to have a Prussian education system.

Ba'al Chatzaf

• 3 weeks later...