ROME (HBO-TV)

~ A bit surprised this hasn't been mentioned in this sub-forum yet. Heh :D , so, as with others I have, here *I* do.

~ For those into I, CLAUDIUS type visual series, this is a worth-watching one. The time-period starts with Julius Ceasar's (Ciaran Hinds, a noted European actor; well cast, btw. He's great!) acquisition, use, and (I presume, at some point) loss of his power, metaphorically representing (as the ad blurb goes) the segue of a 'republic' into a dictatorial 'empire' (shades of STARWARS [or, is it the reverse?]...or...CNN news.)

2Bcont

LLAP

J:D

Edited by John Dailey

~ Most of the series focuses on the mis-adventures of Lucius Vorenus (Kevin McKidd) and his military soldier-buddy Titus Pullo (Ray Stevenson.)

~ Check out ROME for added details.

~ Pullo's the 'brawn', and Vorenus is the 'brains'; but, they try to live their own separate lives (after 'retirement' [we're talking valorous, though EARLY, here.]) As things go, they, appreciating each others' diffs, manage such...but then...('fate'?) circumstances intervene. One of them being Ceasar.

2Bcont

LLAP

Edited by John Dailey

~ Pullo is a near-hedonistic oriented bachelor (a 'soldier' with no job), whereas Vorenus has a family and is...more 'long-range' thinking. Vorenus finds himself, meritoriously, in effect being pulled up the bureaucratic power-ladder. Both have 'ethics' concerns (of differing levels), but, Pullo's ability therein (or lack thereof) causes him, ergo his friend, probs. Such segue into, in spite of Ceasar's plans irrelevent to them, becoming relevent to his...in spite of them AND him.

~ That there are other Machiavellian shenanigans going on behind the scenes relevent to all, need not be said (Some things never change.)

~ Fasc...er...hard-to-not-continue-following series. Just finished Season-1's DVDs. I see S-2 is now available.

LLAP

Edited by John Dailey

~ A bit surprised this hasn't been mentioned in this sub-forum yet. Heh :D , so, as with others I have, here *I* do.

~ For those into I, CLAUDIUS type visual series, this is a worth-watching one. The time-period starts with Julius Ceasar's (Ciaran Hinds, a noted European actor; well cast, btw. He's great!) acquisition, use, and (I presume, at some point) loss of his power, metaphorically representing (as the ad blurb goes) the segue of a 'republic' into a dictatorial 'empire' (shades of STARWARS [or, is it the reverse?]...or...CNN news.)

2Bcont

LLAP

I loved the HBO series -Rome-. It was essentially a prime time soap opera and very well done. The global outcome of history just happens to follow from the local doings of Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus. It is the impulsive acts of Titus Pullo at the Forum which cause a riot which eventually leads to the downfall of Pompei Magnus in a manner which -just so happens- to coincide without historical knowledge of the era. This happens again and again.

I found the whole thing rather witty and entertaining. As long as one does not confuse this -entertainment- with history, all is well.

By the way, the people whose names are Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus actually appear in the historical writings of Julia Caesar. Whether these folks are precisely the Titus and Lucius we meet in the series is highly unlikely. It is a wonderful series. By the way, in the opening display of moving graffiti on the walls of Republican Rome the precedes each episode, there is a homage to -I Claudius-. Can you spot it?

Ba'al Chatzaf

• 2 weeks later...

Baal:

~ Glad you liked (umm...'appreciated'?) it. Ditto, obviously.

~ Posted prev before seeing the end of S-1; Ceasar's death (no spoilers here for any, I hope) done ended that one. Loved the change of word-play on The Bard's "You too...?" question applied to a 'mom.' LOL! Good!

~ Quite interesting how the series showed 'Rome' as NOT being all that (afore-imaged) H'wood oriented glitz-'n'-glamour facaded re even the 'royalty;' the whole place was really nitty-gritty, but the royalty was just a few steps up from its peasantry. Yet, royalty WAS royalty, obviously, in its sub-culture and fashions.

2Bcont

LLAP

Edited by John Dailey

Baal:

~ The 'special features' was great re explaining 'the 7 hills' and Rome's mythic origins.

~ Re your comment about not confusing this with 'history'...sigh...I've belabored THAT subject so much re other movies; why even bring it up? A 'docu-drama', like Shakespeare's (they call it 'historical-tragedy' for super-special *him*) JULIUS CEASAR has to be argued...or even reminded about...as NOT being a 'documentary' to nit-pick over? Jee-e-e-zz.

~ Caught S-2's V-1; having a prob getting V-2. Hmmmm....wonder what'll happen next? (Yes, it's a 'soap-opera', but, gotta admit, in the best sense of the story-style.)

LLAP

Baal:

~ Re your ending comments/question, no and no.

~ I'm not surprised that 'Pullo' and 'Verenius' were names appearing in historical documents, though I would not have thought that such was so. Wow. -- Nowadays, when 'historical' presentations are made, there IS mucho research applied to the story...by good writers. I'll not link here (since I had elsewhere), but my original book-review on SPARTAN in this forum sure showed such. Indeed, it seems another HBO mini-series (DEADWOOD) showed such (especially in 'special features.')

~ 'Opening Credits'-wise, I see some graffiti identifiable (er-r...more accurately associatable ) to some known historic myths. However, the fantasy movie JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS comes to mind with the 1st graffiti (fighting the skeletons :lol::lol: ), whereas I, CLAUDIUS I find unfindable.

LLAP

Edited by John Dailey