YOU'RE KILLING ME

~ A 'black comedy', for sure, though the stress IS on the serious side of things. This efficient, but not all that smart, 'blue-collar' hired killer (Ben Kingsley) blows a job 'cause of his drinking habit; he drunkenly slept through the time-to-hit. His boss (his uncle) requires him to go to SanFran and join an AA group to dry out and come back later. His uncle has a prob with an Irish gang taking over turf, which involves a relevent background (later foreground) conflict, while Ben is resistingly discovering himself (or, his lack of such [!]) --- His final 'job' is not a paid one, but, seems to ironically fit in with the AA's idea of recompense/'amends' to others you owe things to [!!!]

2Bcont

LLAP

J:D

PS: S-O-R-R-Y...title is "YOU KILL ME" :blush:

Edited by John Dailey

~ That this character Kingsley plays 'confesses' at a meeting what he does for a living is...weirdly funny on its own. I gather that there's no legal requirement for such (given no details specified re occurrences) to be reported to 'authorities.'

~ That this isolated loner 'falls in love' with an enabler (not in AA; just a quirky character on her own) may go without saying here, but, interestingly, this flawed hit-man does show a potential for...redemption...of his otherwise worthless life: attempting to make 'amends'. And that via help from his newbie-killer-apprentice lover.

~ Interesting handling of 'shades-of-grey' ideas (thugs-vs-thugs: why care? Some do try to 'change'...is the point, methinks) which do ultimately come down to 'black-and-white' decisions. Even for those who have 'blackly' tried to stay 'grey'...and found it not all that worthwhile a way to exist.

LLAP

J:D

Edited by John Dailey