Atlas Shrugged to be a movie?!

Jolie and Pitt Circling Atlas Shrugged?

Source: Variety

April 27, 2006

Lionsgate has picked up worldwide distribution rights to Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged from Howard and Karen Baldwin (Ray), who will produce with John Aglialoro, reports Variety.

Angelina Jolie, a longtime devotee of Rand's, and Brad Pitt, also a fan, are rumored to be circling the leading roles of Dagny Taggart and John Galt.

Atlas Shrugged, which runs more than 1,100 pages, has faced a lengthy and circuitous journey to a film adaptation.

The Russian-born author's seminal novel, published in 1957, revolves around the economic collapse of the U.S. sometime in the future and espouses her individualistic philosophy of objectivism. The violent, apocalyptic ending has always posed a challenge but could prove especially so in the post-9/11 climate.

It will be interesting to see how thoe whole concept behind Objectivism goes over with the modern day crowd.

At least they have some heavy box office draws considered for the lead parts, but in my estimation it is very few good books that are translated well on film and one of the main reasons is the inability to capture the thoughts of the characters.

L W

It will be interesting to see how thoe whole concept behind Objectivism goes over with the modern day crowd.

L W

What will be really interesting to see is if they capture the whole concept behind Objectivism in the first place. Hollywood has been know to take a book and basically rewrite it.

Robert Bidinotto discussed this further on his blog entry called Flash: Lionsgate to distribute "Atlas Shrugged" film; "Brangelina" interested [updates], where he also proudly, deservedly and unashamedly plugged The New Individualist.

Here is a very interesting quote from the blog entry:

John Aglialoro, who owns the screen rights, is a co-executive producer on the project, and also serves on the Board of The Objectivist Center...

Michael

I heard something a few years ago about Atlas being made into a movie but didn't hear anything else after that about it. I can only hope they stay as close to the book as possible. But as we all know, Hollywood is notorious for taking books to the chopping block in order to fit it into a movie. I so hope they don't do that with Atlas.

I'm not much of a fan of either but my, oh, my, Brad Pitt as John Galt !! WOW, did it just get HOT in here all of a sudden !! LOL Do I dare ask for anything more!?! I'm sure I could and would. But to have such a handsome, dreamy man in the role of John Galt, my heart just went pitter patter and has just skipped a few beats.

I hope it will be soon. And I will thoroughly enjoy this movie on so many personal levels !! and looking forward to it.

Angie

There is a scoop release on the TOC site.

According to the following excerpt from the release, David Kelley will be a consultant and the movie will be a multi-part film, so this film will only be from the first part of the book.

We've confirmed today that a deal is going forward under which Lionsgate will take an option to finance and distribute the film. The executive producers are John Aglialoro, a Trustee of The Atlas Society and The Objectivist Center, and Howard Baldwin, whose movie "Ray" won an Oscar for best actor (Jamie Foxx). Lionsgate will put around $35 million into the film.

The film will be based on a script of the first part of the novel, written by Jim V. Hart and reviewed by David Kelley, founder of The Atlas Society-The Objectivist Center. Hart also penned the script for the film "Contact," based on the novel by astronomer Carl Sagan. It is anticipated "Atlas" will be a multi-part film.

Great news all round so far.

Michael

I've been monitoring this forever, which is how long it has taken so far.

In the back of my mind I always figured it might be a Jolie/Pitt thing.

I hope they don't mess it up too badly.

rde

Cool. I haven't thought about casting Atlas in a long time. Assuming Pitt and Jolie are Galt and Dagny, here's how I'd see the rest of the cast:

Joaquin Phoenix as Hank.

Benjamin Bratt or Marco Leonardi as Francisco (I think Banderas is geting to be too old for the part).

Paul Bettany as Ragnar.

Chris Cooper as Ellis Wyatt.

Jeremy Davies as Eddie Willers.

Morgan Freeman as Midas Mulligan.

Armin Mueller-Stahl as Hugh Akston.

Selma Blair as Lillian.

Philip Seymour Hoffman as Taggart.

Paul Giamatti as Mouch.

John C. Reilly as Boyle.

Giovanni Ribisi as Philip Rearden.

Adrien Brody or David Strathairn as Stadler.

J

That's it. I had to post. Benjamin Bratt and Adrien Brody and Brad Pitt ta boot....I"M DYIN' RIGHT NOW !! Who do I pick....Pitt as Galt, I think Galt just went on the back burner.........DAMN, that would be so AWESOME !! Chick flick all the way for me now, no men allowed when viewing this movie. LOL To have 3 drop dead gorgeous men all in one movie would be too much for one woman to take, although the entire audience would be all women drooling....LMAO, me included !!

OHMIGOD, I can only hope....PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE. I've been good, I promise. LOL

I apologize if anyone is offended over my drooling. //;-)) But I'm sure there would be many woman out there in my same position !!

Those are great suggestions, Jonathan. Thank you

> Philip Seymour Hoffman as Taggart.

Inspired! That gets my vote. I think Hoffman is one of the great actors of our day. He's perfect for the part.

> I apologize if anyone is offended over my drooling.

Just don't get it on the screen. I'm trying to read here :-)

Knowing what Hart did to Contact I'm nervous. Thought the nerves are eased somewhat knowing Kelley will be a consultant.