Atlas Shrugged -- the Adventure Continues

Yesterday, my 12 year old daughter, who informed us at about age 8 that she was an atheist, continues to astonish (and delight) her parents. Rachel, hearing about all the hub-bub for the 50th anniversary of the publication of Atlas Shrugged, started pressing us to get her her own copy of the book so she could see what all the fuss is about.

Because it was her choice and desire, and seems a realistic goal (she is no newcomer to long books, routinely devouring 500+ page novels in 1-2 days' time, so I don't think she'll be particularly daunted by Rand's magnum opus), we decided to give in, and today I bought her a hardbound copy, and she is contentedly reading along as I write this.

Yet again, I find myself astonished that one of my children, with no prompting or proselytizing from me or my wife, has leaped into the big world of ideas. I am eager to see what she decides to do with the new perspective she gets. We haven't been totally hands off, but basically have tried to be good role models and to be there for her when she has questions.

Wanting her book to also serve as a keepsake and to officially celebrate her pro-active delving into Ayn Rand's world of heroism and rational individualism, I inscribed the following inside the front cover:

October 10, 2007

Dear Rachel Elizabeth:

On this, the 50th anniversary of the publication of Atlas Shrugged, we hereby bestow upon you your own personal copy of this wonderful book, which has played such an important role in our own lives.

Read and enjoy -- you've earned it!

Love, Dad and Mom

Yesterday, my 12 year old daughter, who informed us at about age 8 that she was an atheist, continues to astonish (and delight) her parents. Rachel, hearing about all the hub-bub for the 50th anniversary of the publication of Atlas Shrugged, started pressing us to get her her own copy of the book so she could see what all the fuss is about.

Because it was her choice and desire, and seems a realistic goal (she is no newcomer to long books, routinely devouring 500+ page novels in 1-2 days' time, so I don't think she'll be particularly daunted by Rand's magnum opus), we decided to give in, and today I bought her a hardbound copy, and she is contentedly reading along as I write this.

Yet again, I find myself astonished that one of my children, with no prompting or proselytizing from me or my wife, has leaped into the big world of ideas. I am eager to see what she decides to do with the new perspective she gets. We haven't been totally hands off, but basically have tried to be good role models and to be there for her when she has questions.

Wanting her book to also serve as a keepsake and to officially celebrate her pro-active delving into Ayn Rand's world of heroism and rational individualism, I inscribed the following inside the front cover:

October 10, 2007

Dear Rachel Elizabeth:

On this, the 50th anniversary of the publication of Atlas Shrugged, we hereby bestow upon you your own personal copy of this wonderful book, which has played such an important role in our own lives.

Love, Dad and Mom

12, wow! I didn't read Atlas until 16. Well, my brother read it at 13. She's the youngest i've heard of :) .

Jim

12, wow! I didn't read Atlas until 16. Well, my brother read it at 13. She's the youngest i've heard of :) .

Jim

I first read AS when I was 23. I was pleased to see that others held views such as I was beginning to formulate. By the time I was 23 I had gone through my General Semantics phase (in high school) and had pretty well formulated Reality Lite, my working principle. I thought the idea of pulling the plug on a corrupt society was pretty cool. Tune In, Turn On, Drop Out. Unfortunately Timothy Leary co-opted that theme in his peculiar way. The result of my encounter with Rand was to focus my disgust at the corruption and waste our government does habitually. In 1968 I made a decision never to work for government or a prime contractor to government at any level. I confined my professional activity (software development and applied mathematics) to private businesses whose work was either non-governmental or largely non-governmental. That was my version of Galt's Gulch.

Since I had formulated, for myself, a reality oriented heuristic (I won't call it a full blown philosophy), my encounter with Rand did not lead me to join in with either the Objectivists or the Libertarians. I kept my distance. Even so I owe Rand a thing or two for the help I received in focusing and sharpening some of my ideas (in the area of economics). I ignored any input from Rand in the areas of science and mathematics. She had nothing of value to offer me there. In economics and some aspects of politics I found her input useful.

Ba'al Chatzaf

October 10, 2007

Dear Rachel Elizabeth:

Love, Dad and Mom

Jim

I read Atlas at the age of 14. Once through, and then another immediate read, I was so impressed. That was 1967. Interesting times in Objectivism-Land...

Alfonso

Roger,

What a smart little girl. Does she take more after her father or mother?

Michael

What am I supposed to say to that!? :-)

Becky and I were both avid readers at Rachel's age, and she is a chip off both old blocks in that respect. Also, although she has taken dance and roller skating lessons, and although she is much more slender than either Becky or me, she is also relatively ungraceful, like both Becky and me. And unlike Becky and me, Rachel has relatively little interest or ability in music. (Considering the shrinking opportunities in professional music, perhaps that is a sign of advanced intelligence. :unsure: )

But you asked for some differentiation in our influence on her. OK, I'd also have to say that, in literary skills and openly expressing unpopular views :poke: , Rachel is much like her mother, who was light years ahead of me as a teenager. (My writing ability and drive to ruffle ideological and philosophical feathers didn't really blossom until college.)

Rachel is a very affectionate young lady, much like her parents. But while no child of mine is likely to be prettier than her mother, Rachel definitely will turn heads when she grows up, as much from attitude and bearing as looks. (Where's the damned icon for Proud Father??)

Hope that helps. :D

REB

Roger; What a wonderful report about your daughter. I didn't read Atlas until I was 20. I have a small excuse it did not came out until I was 14.

Edited by Chris Grieb