http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Will_5_milli..._more_1004.html

I remember after I watched the Wolf Blitzer interview yesterday I felt

like Dr. Ron was off his game. What happened I thought? I study

subliminal advertising so I watched again looking for subliminal

messages and what I saw was shocking.

Words such as Darfur Match, Naked Woman, KKK, Not Join, Marked, "deal

with noo", fire, accident were prominently featured in the backround

as Ron was being interviewed.

Coincidence? I don't think so. Nothing on that set was happenstance.

The backround was designed to elicit a negative subconscious response

from the viewer and in my opinion it worked and should be guarded

against in the future.

SEE

CNN's The Situation Room, broadcast on October 4, 2007

Scroll down to the video. When CNN camera goes to Ron, hit pause and

read the words on the screen behind him.

Future interviewers should be put on notice we are aware and watching.

Bookmark/Search this post with:

http://dailypaul.com/node/2933

Steve:

~ Wow! Fascin...uh...super-interesting! Thanx for the 'heads up' on this.

~ A while ago Wilson Bryan Key wrote a trilogy ('73-'80) on the history and contemporary use of subliminality used in advertising. His view was mostly from a Freudian perspective (though not ONLY sex; there was 'family' in tv-shows like ST-TOS); he argued its chronic use (affective or not) in mucho mags and TV. Generally the idea's been considered 'debunked' re usefulness, though I did collect quite a few mag ads at the time re its apparent use (my fave was a pic of a stack of pots with 2 lids strategically placed at the bottom of the stack; still got these ads :hmm: )

LLAP

J:D

Steve:

ADDENDUM:

~ SUBLIMINAL SEDUCTION was the 1st of Key's books...appropriately titled. The other 2 (MEDIA SEXPLOITATION, THE CLAM-PLATE ORGY) came later. All might be worth reading, nowadays. To be sure, we're not talking blatantly obvious 'spin' associations here; we're talking intended-to-be-UNnoticed background stuff which is emotionally-affective; sorta 'stealth'-messaging bypassing the cortex.

~ Clearly, given what you said, some media-consultants are making use of such (effectively or not) beyond Freud. Of course 'everything' in the background of any show ('news' or otherwise) is closely paid attention to re presentations, but, what you pointed out surprised me a bit (granted, it shouldn't have) that someone's thinking down these lines. Given the idea was generally considered (criticized as, anyway) useless, either someone's desperate...or...it works.

LLAP

CNN Dirty Tricks With Wolf on Ron Paul

Posted by: "Anson" interpolarize@yahoo.com interpolarize

Fri Oct 5, 2007 7:19 pm (PST)

CNN Dirty Tricks With Wolf B.In The Situation Room

Posted October 5th, 2007 by Kevin@HarperRealty

SEE VIDEO AT BOTTOM OF PAGE:

I remember after I watched the Wolf Blitzer interview yesterday I felt

like Dr. Ron was off his game. What happened I thought? I study

subliminal advertising so I watched again looking for subliminal

messages and what I saw was shocking.

Words such as Darfur Match, Naked Woman, KKK, Not Join, Marked, "deal

with noo", fire, accident were prominently featured in the backround

as Ron was being interviewed.

Coincidence? I don't think so. Nothing on that set was happenstance.

The backround was designed to elicit a negative subconscious response

from the viewer and in my opinion it worked and should be guarded

against in the future.

SEE

CNN's The Situation Room, broadcast on October 4, 2007

Scroll down to the video. When CNN camera goes to Ron, hit pause and

read the words on the screen behind him.

Future interviewers should be put on notice we are aware and watching.

Bookmark/Search this post with:

http://dailypaul.com/node/2933

Evening:

I am new to this forum. I think you make an interesting observation. During the 1950's, when subliminal visual versus aural advertising became a staple of Madison Avenue, moviegoers were subjected to micro flashes of "eat popcorn" "hot" scenes, eg., a desert, a sweating athelete to increase lobby sales during intermission. Therefore, it is logical to presume that these devices are used in a more "sophisticated" way today.

I was interested in how the words/phrases that you refered to were slowly fading and reappearing.

Since television is a "cool" medium[see Marshall McLuhan's writings] the "effect" that you refered to is quite startling.

Nice pickup. I taught Rhetoric a long while back and we analyzed the 1960 Nixon-Kennedy debate by playing the radio[hot medium] version to one "randomly selected group and showed the black and white television version to another group. A radical and statistically significant result was obtained by the different treatments or mediums. We also ran a parrallel radio/TV to two [2] groups of debate judges and again got roughly matching results.

I am curious to see how each of you would have reacted to Paul's words with your eyes closed.

Thanks for an interesting observation. I tend almost exclusively to listen to speechs and at a lower conscious level "see" them.

Adam

During the 1950's, when subliminal visual versus aural advertising became a staple of Madison Avenue, moviegoers were subjected to micro flashes of "eat popcorn" "hot" scenes, eg., a desert, a sweating athelete to increase lobby sales during intermission.

Selene,

I once walked into a trap with this one and had to eat my words. The sad truth is that James Vicary was lying about his results of Coke and popcorn and could not repeat them. See the Snopes article here: Subliminal Advertising.

However, I did see a rather disturbing video on You Tube (I gleaned this from an unfriendly Objectivist discussion site):Derren Brown - Subliminal Advertising.

The idea of hidden persuaders makes sense, but I don't know fully what to make of this field yet. My gut feeling is that hidden persuaders account for a small slice of total behavior.

Michael

Wow, I too, thought Dr. Paul was off his game. This WAS effective ! I closed my eyes and everything changed. That youtube video Ad challege was really interesting. I had to take the bus the other day and the television commercials, I was subjected to for the 20 minutes on the bus , for sub-prime loans for homes and cars, bankruptcy and litigious answers from law firm commercials to irresposible spending, and life styles of the rich and famous dominated. It became much easier for me to see why anyone would persue these irrational avenues enmasse as has been happening. On the other hand, people make choices and I don't blame the messenger.

Edited by Gigi P. Morton

During the 1950's, when subliminal visual versus aural advertising became a staple of Madison Avenue, moviegoers were subjected to micro flashes of "eat popcorn" "hot" scenes, eg., a desert, a sweating athelete to increase lobby sales during intermission.

Selene,

I once walked into a trap with this one and had to eat my words. The sad truth is that James Vicary was lying about his results of Coke and popcorn and could not repeat them. See the Snopes article here: Subliminal Advertising.

However, I did see a rather disturbing video on You Tube (I gleaned this from an unfriendly Objectivist discussion site):Derren Brown - Subliminal Advertising.

The idea of hidden persuaders makes sense, but I don't know fully what to make of this field yet. My gut feeling is that hidden persuaders account for a small slice of total behavior.

Michael

I was not aware of that study. I will take a look at it. However, I do agree with your last sentence that it does comprise a "small slice of total behavior". Whenever I have worked as an outside political consultant, a final choice or presentation of a slogan/ad/video was "instinctive" was effected by my "gut feeling" which was essentially based on the immense amount of numbers and information that I had imbedded in my brain's hard drive as I did my due diligence in analyzing the particlar political event that we were hired to run.

Developing all the available means of persuasion in the given case is called Rhetoric, some old timer named Aristotle taught his students about it.

~ You WILL believe... :blink:

~ You WILL believe... :blink:

~ You..... :wacko: ...crap!

~ How does someone do 'subliminals' in mere texting? Lugosi's hypnotistic concentration-stare in DRACULA don't cut it here, and the only way to do subliminalizing in typing is 'back-masking', and I really haven't the time for backword/vertical acrostic-styled anagramatically-designed lecturing.

~ Anyone got a clue for me to subconsciously persuade them that this 'method' is really ineffective on those who are aware of its use by others? :logik:

:angry:

LLAP

Edited by John Dailey