Peter Keating --- weak, . . .

I was watching the movie The Fountainhead recently, and viewed the trailer. They show each of the major characters, and say just a few words about each of them.

For Peter Keating, the voice-over is . . .

"Peter Keating --- weak, selfish, . . . "

I wonder if Ayn Rand ever saw that trailer, and if so how strongly she reacted...

Alfonso

I am sure she didn't like the trailer but she had had so many problems about the movie that is was very small.

I would think that she would go ballistic if she heard "Peter Keating - weak, selfish..." After all she had said through the novel and the screenplay, to have someone regard SELFISH as one of Peter Keating's key attributes - is to betray such a fundamental misunderstanding of The Fountainhead.

I do not believe that Rand ever heard this trailer.

Alfonso

Robert,

I didn't mean to imply that Rand would have been indifferent or would have liked it. I was merely saying that she made a big deal out of the word itself, "selfish," much later. This means that I can see her objecting at the time and being grudgingly appeased with some kind of argument that in popular understanding, the traditional meaning would be better understood by the general public before seeing the movie, and she could argue the case on screen once they were into the story. (Just a speculation.)

I cannot see her doing that after Atlas Shrugged.

Michael

Robert,

I didn't mean to imply that Rand would have been indifferent or would have liked it. I was merely saying that she made a big deal out of the word itself, "selfish," much later. This means that I can see her objecting at the time and being grudgingly appeased with some kind of argument that in popular understanding, the traditional meaning would be better understood by the general public before seeing the movie, and she could argue the case on screen once they were into the story. (Just a speculation.)

I cannot see her doing that after Atlas Shrugged.

Michael

Certainly not after AS. The woman who would object to a question in which the questioner said "John Galt contented" because Galt never CONTENDED, he explained, he said, he stated, ... would not seem likely to be silent about denigrating Peter Keating on the grounds of SELFISHNESS.

I'm still surprised she let it go back at the time of the release of The Fountainhead, with no record of objection.

Alfonso