I'm coming up for my first invention disclosure!

I'm off to fax back the paperwork for my first invention disclosure for an dual-stress nitride semiconductor process we worked on while I was at IBM. Hooray!! This sort of makes those crazy hours worth it, but not quite :-).

Jim

I'm off to fax back the paperwork for my first invention disclosure for an dual-stress nitride semiconductor process we worked on while I was at IBM. Hooray!! This sort of makes those crazy hours worth it, but not quite :-).

Jim

Way to go!

Ba'al Chatzaf

I'll join the praise. Can you tell something about it?

I was working on the server chips at IBM and we were working on a device that utilized a dual silicon nitride layer comprised of tensile and compressive stress layers that would exert forces on the transistor gate that would increase the speed of the chip about 15%. We found that the oxide etching to form the contacts through the dual stress nitride was extremely difficult, so we developed a new process to etch stepwise through each layer and pre-form the contacts prior to oxide etch substantially reducing electrical shorts and opens.

It's a pretty incremental development and I worked on it with 4 other people, but it's my first patent and I'm pretty happy about it.

Jim

Edited by James Heaps-Nelson

It's a pretty incremental development and I worked on it with 4 other people, but it's my first patent and I'm pretty happy about it.

Jim

Invention is the Mother of Necessity. Now you are going to have to keep on inventing. Way to go!

Ba'al Chatzaf

Is invention disclosure required by the patent laws?

How could it not be? Other inventors have to be protected. Work for years on something that has already been invented and protected from commercial exploitation? Many inventions are not patented in order to protect others from stealing them.

--Brant