Interesting quote about Ron Paul

A person on another forum recently wrote that she just finished The Passion of Ayn Rand and she saw Ron Paul mentioned. Here is what she wrote:

I was happily floored, having just finished reading "The passion of Ayn Rand" ,to find his name in the prolgue as a supporter and practiconer of the philosophies of Objectivism.

This actually floored me because I know that Barbara does not support Ron Paul to the point of having very serious reservations about his candidacy. So I looked it up.

Obviously there was no mention of Ron Paul in the Prologue simply because that part of the book deals with Rand's childhood. I did find Ron Paul in the Index, though, and he is mentioned in the Epilogue. But he is not mentioned as a practitioner of Objectivism. What I read made my jaw drop a second time.

Hard.

Here is what Barbara wrote. She was listing people and places where Rand's influence and impact are felt (The Passion of Ayn Rand, p. 419). Please remember that this book was published in 1986 and has never been updated.

... in former congressman from Texas Ron Paul, chairman of the Ludwig von Mises Institute...

Chairman??? I know Barbara wrote that because she sourced it, probably directly from him. I decided to see if this information was repeated on the Mises site. Here is the most recent thing I came up with: Join the Revolution in Ideas by Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr. (December 6, 2006). From the article:

When we started, his widow, Margit von Mises, was our chairman. Murray N. Rothbard, F.A. Hayek, Henry Hazlitt, and Ron Paul were founding advisers.

They don't hide their support for Ron Paul, but his participation is strongly downplayed.

Hmmmmmm...

Michael

Ron Paul was member of Congress when Ayn Rand died in 1982. I called his office that day to ask if Ron Paul's would mention her death on the floor and try to get some acknowledgement from President Reagan. The office indicated that no statement would come from Congressman Paul and the office would not approach President Reagan.

I have found that Mises Institute has always had a hostility to Ayn Rand and her ideas. I suspect that this has rubbed off on Dr. Paul.

In spite of this if I can vote for Dr Paul in a DC primary I will.

Edited by Chris Grieb

Here are some other interesting quotes:

From the Mises Institute:

There is one and only one voice in Congress for a foreign policy of freedom, and it belongs to Ron Paul, who has stood alone for freedom for many years. Ron is the seemingly impossible: a voice for reason and truth in a den of thieves.

This book makes Ron Paul's place in history. There has never been anything so forthright, truth telling, and ultimately devastating from a US politician. Not since Taft has there been a book like this, and this one makes Taft's own classic seems vague and abstract by comparison.

Mises Institute description of Ron Paul's Book "A Foreign Policy of Freedom"

Milton Friedman

"We very badly need to have more Representatives in the House who understand in a principled way the importance of property rights and religious freedom for the preservation and extension of human freedom in general ...l wish you every success." --Dr. Milton Friedman, Nobel prize recipient, economics

Walter Williams (Who Dr. Paul has mentioned as a running mate should he win the primary):

"If the framers of the Constitution were somehow to come back, Ron Paul is one of possibly only three people in Congress that they'd even talk to," said Mr. Williams, adding that most politicians have a "generalized contempt" for the values of the Constitution. – Walter Williams (Washington Times)

--Dustan

Ron Paul was member of Congress when Ayn Rand died in 1982. I called his office that day to ask if Ron Paul's would mention her death on the floor and try to get some acknowledgement from President Reagan. The office indicated that no statement would come from Congressman Paul and the office would not approach President Reagan.

I have found that Mises Institute has always had a hostility to Ayn Rand and her ideas. I suspect that this has rubbed off on Dr. Paul.

In spite of this if I can vote for Dr Paul in a DC primary I will.

I am very curious as to why he didn't say something.

I know in a NPR interview he said the two most influential authors he read when he was younger where Mises and Rand.

He also named one of his sons Rand. Rand Paul.

--Dustan