Balloon bombs against the US

Michael Stuart Kelly

Balloon bombs against the US

by Greg Goebel

This is an amazing story that I received via the Enright's NIF (New Intellectual Forum) emails. The USA has already been subjected to a mainland suicide bomber attack in WWII by the Japanese. The guy who posted the message (Craig Smith) asked some interesting questions:

What would happen if there was a total media blackout of terrorist attacks?

. . .

For the most part, the bombings themselves are not very effective as battle weapons, it’s all the media coverage and ensuing demoralization among the populace that has the greatest effect. Is it proper to allow the enemy to use his most valuable tool? What might happen if this weapon was taken away?

. . .

Starting is 1944 the Japanese launched 9,000 “fire balloons” each containing 1,000 lbs incendiary devices with the intent of starting forest fires and spreading terror throughout the American West. It’s estimated that between 300-1,000 of the devices landed in the US between late 1944 and the Spring of 1945. However, “With no evidence of any effect, [Japanese] General Kusaba was ordered to cease operations in April 1945.”

So why did the Japanese stop sending their “fire balloons”?

Surely, with radio and newspapers headlining daily about the “9,000 TERROR BALL-BOMBS HEADED THIS WAY!!!!!”, the entire country would have been gripped in horror and the Japanese would have kept the program going in spite of the fact, on an individual basis, the bombs weren’t very effective.

But…

“The Office of Censorship…sent a message to newspapers and radio stations to ask them to make no mention of balloons and balloon-bomb incidents, lest the enemy get the idea that they had a good thing going.” And the media went along with the request!. Imagine that? The enemy tried to terrorizes us and the media would not allow itself to be used as a propaganda tool.

. . .

It’s interesting that most professional sports blackout all incidents of errant fan behavior (fights, streaking etc) because they know it only encourages more of the behavior and the broadcasters realize they are simply being used to promote that individuals narcissism. The sports-desk gets it, but the news-desk doesn’t.

We are the ones who give power to the suicide bombers. I seriously doubt the most fervent Islamist fanatic would find suicide for the cause attractive if no headlines resulted. But I don't see our news media changing that status anytime soon. Audience ratings are much more important than defeating an enemy.

Michael Crichton's book, State of Fear, rings truer and truer as the proper analysis of current events. Three categories of professions need to keep us in a constant state of fear to keep their privileges: lawyers, media and politicians.

btw - The Japanese killed a total of 6 people on American soil with their balloon attack. From the original article:

The balloons did kill six Americans. A minister and his wife had taken some children on a fishing trip in southern Oregon, east of the Cascades, when they discovered a balloon bomb that exploded while they were gathered around it, killing the woman and five children.

Are those poor, uneducated and brainwashed Islamist suicide mission volunteers that now threaten us more competent than the trained Japanese military during WWII?

Our media sure is.

Michael

Michael;

I knew about these attacks and the deaths of these Americans.

Because it was total war and there were fewer media outlets the government was able to keep under wraps. Does anyone know if the weather was wetter during that period?

Are those poor, uneducated and brainwashed Islamist suicide mission volunteers that now threaten us more competent than the trained Japanese military during WWII?

Our media sure is.

Michael

The 9/11 crew that wrecked the WTC, the Pentagon the flight over Pennsylvania were all college educated and from upper-middle class or rich families. They also took flying lessons. Do -you- know how to fly?

Their operation was low-tech but it was hardly incompetent. It succeeded quite well.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Bob,

Hardly incompetent? You mean like the subsequent guy who couldn't even set his shoe on fire? Or more recently, a brilliant doctor who couldn't get the car to blow up?

Nine-eleven was their equivalent of the Pearl Harbor sneak attack. Most were Saudis, too. That context is forever gone. I haven't seen anything on that scale since.

I am very proud of our defense people. They are doing one hell of a job. And I think the general incompetence of the hostile agents helps.

Michael

Our media sure is.

Michael

The 9/11 crew that wrecked the WTC, the Pentagon the flight over Pennsylvania were all college educated and from upper-middle class or rich families. They also took flying lessons. Do -you- know how to fly?

Their operation was low-tech but it was hardly incompetent. It succeeded quite well.

Ba'al Chatzaf

9/11 was a brilliant terrorist attack. It didn't take much training to fly those planes as they didn't have to land them or deal with emergencies. I know how to fly. It was competent enough. There will be more competence and more devastation in the future. Pakistan got real competent and is now a nuclear power. I suspect that in this century the United States and perhaps Israel will effectively destroy Iran and Pakistan with nuclear weapons. The model is WWII: You pussyfoot along then fight for your life then kick ass. Millions upon millions died--because of pussyfooting.

--Brant

9/11 was a brilliant terrorist attack. It didn't take much training to fly those planes as they didn't have to land them or deal with emergencies. I know how to fly. It was competent enough. There will be more competence and more devastation in the future. Pakistan got real competent and is now a nuclear power. I suspect that in this century the United States and perhaps Israel will effectively destroy Iran and Pakistan with nuclear weapons. The model is WWII: You pussyfoot along then fight for your life then kick ass. Millions upon millions died--because of pussyfooting.

--Brant

This is unfortunate. The Ummah has been at war with the West for over 40 years. If you recall, back in the 70's Palestinians were hijacking planes. The Israelis finally did something about it at Entebbe. I simply do not understand why we have not nuked Tehran. When the Japs attacked Pearl Harbor we eventually burned their house down (after handling the Germans). Why don't we burn the Muslim house down? The Iranians are supply the thugs in Iraq with rather nasty weapons and with training. We should definitely burn their house down.

When Rome was in her prime, they would send in the Legions and have done with the trouble makers. The Romans did not seem conflicted when dealing with their enemies. The Romans destroyed Carthage (delenda Cartago est!). Julius Caesar's legions killed a half million Gauls, all with low-tech weapons. They made a desolation and they called it peace. They kept the peace in Europe for over 200 years. I don't understand why we have not learned from them.

If thine enemy smite thee on thy cheek, rip his lungs out and piss in his chest cavity.

Ba'al Chatzaf.