Runaway inflation in Zimbabwe!

galtgulch

Heartbreaking story in NY Times today. Mugabe mandating that merchants lower prices while his Youth Guards dressed in green go from store to store to enforce mandates, followed by crowds of shoppers who then buy up goods at reduced rates. Stores remain open to avoid seizure by government but with empty shelves.

Reminder of all runaway inflations in history. Recall how German workers demanded to be paid twice a day in the early twenties so they could buy goods at lunch break before prices rose again.

Mugabe's government is priinting paper currency to pay its mounting debts.

It is hard to stand by and watch as such catastrophe's occur in the world when the cause is clear and so much avoidable suffering is inflicted by ignorant leaders. Surely there must be some way to enlighten those in power if the likes of Mugabe were only willing to listen and take heed.

I know I am naive.

galt

Edited by galtgulch

Heartbreaking story in NY Times today. Mugabe mandating that merchants lower prices while his Youth Guards dressed in green go from store to store to inforce mandates, followed by crowds of shoppers who then buy up goods at reduced rates. Stores remain open to avoid seizure by government but with empty shelves.

Reminder of all runaway inflations in history. Recall how German workers demanded to be paid twice a day in the early twenties so they could buy goods at lunch break before prices rose again.

Mugabe's government is priinting paper currency to pay its mounting debts.

It is hard to stand by and watch as such catastrophe's occur in the world when the cause is clear and so much avoidable suffering is inflicted by ignorant leaders. Surely there must be some way to enlighten those in power if the likes of Mugabe were only willing to listen and take heed.

I know I am naive.

galt

What are the people of Zimbabwe to us and what are we do them. Since we did not create their woe we have no particular reason to help them out. Let them learn the hard way.

If you give a man a fish, you have fed him for the day.

If you let him starve, you can forget all about him.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Bob,

Are you against empathy for those who wish to help? Isn't that their right?

You don't have to and that's OK.

Michael

What people do with their -own- time and energy is their business, provided they are not up to doing evil with their time and energy. Let the bleeding hearts bleed for humanity. I will save what is mine for things that I find valuable. Compassion is a disease. Pity rots and kindness will not be requited. No good deed shall go unpunished. The best policy is to do only those things we provide some kind of benefit or value to you.

Ba'al Chatzaf

It is curious and disheartening to me that all the replies to my post are off topic.

I know most of us share the dismay at the plight of those human beings who are suffering the consequence of irrational policies in a far off land where they are living in a dictatorship led by an ignorant inhumane powerluster.

The fact that someone here expresses his seemingly selfish notion that we shouldn't care one way or the other because these people mean nothing to him is pathetic. They are unknown to us but many or most of them are decent human beings who will suffer and do suffer with no hope for resolution of their hardships. We happen to know that much of their suffering is because of a government policy which is understood now to be misled and fraught with dire consequences. It is a shame. Even if economics professors living in Zimbabwe know the solution and the antidote no doubt Mugabe would probably ignore them and their advise and might even have them arrested, tortured and killed.

At least we still live in a society where one may freely criticize the leaders, run for office oneself, write books and letters, petition for redress and freely assemble without fear of retribution. At least that was true once upon a time. How much longer remains to be seen.

galt

(And other comments afterwards:)

This is indeed tragic, but what would you have us actually do?

(And other comments afterwards:)

This is indeed tragic, but what would you have us actually do?

Arrrrghhh! Smarrrrt as paint ye arrrrre. You asked the right question.

You will quickly discover there is not a blessed thing we -can- do to help these wretched folk. They have dug their own hole, now they must climb out.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Even if economics professors living in Zimbabwe know the solution and the antidote no doubt Mugabe would probably ignore them and their advise and might even have them arrested, tortured and killed.

You believe in economics professors?? It's curious that in N. America it seems our only weapon for fighting inflation seems to be raising interest rates. Inflation goes up, raise rates. Inflation goes down, lower rates. Can I get my PHD now??

You will quickly discover there is not a blessed thing we -can- do to help these wretched folk. They have dug their own hole, now they must climb out.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Yep. In general I'm more interested in trying to convince the "Out-Of-Iraq-And-Into-Darfur" enthusiasts that further well-intentioned intereference in Africa is only making things worse. Not, I suppose, that there's much hope of that either...

Edited by Richard Uhler

• 2 weeks later...

Ba'al Chatzaf

Bob, how far do you see these "wretched folk" being responsible for digging their own hole ??

And what is the nature of that hole......just the inflation, or the whole oppressive dictatorship?

If the latter, then surely historically (by your criteria) every nation's people is responsible for digging their "own hole" - and it is the fault of every repressed and victimised section of that nation for bringing that misery upon themselves? (Some dangerous precedents here).

And should the rest of the world sit idly by when this happens? (It usually does, especially at the outset).

Sadly, I feel the only effective pressure upon Mugabe and his men will come from other African governments. And that could be a long time coming.

And should the rest of the world sit idly by when this happens? (It usually does, especially at the outset).

Are you your non-brother's keeper? And what profit accrues from helping these folks do for themselves what they should be doing for themselves. Can you see any positive value in it. How do we benefit?

Ba'al Chatzaf

Are you your non-brother's keeper? And what profit accrues from helping these folks do for themselves what they should be doing for themselves. Can you see any positive value in it. How do we benefit?

Ba'al Chatzaf

I think my problem is that as a child I saw too many Mighty Mouse cartoon movies! Yes. That would explain how i feel when such injustices occur and come to my attention. Alas! I am in touch with the all too real world. I am still waiting for someone to respond to my post suggesting that despite Ron Paul's misguided position on abortion, that we should not let that stop each of us from casting a vote for him if he were to get the nomination and to lend support to his campaign to achieve that nomination.

galt

Edited by galtgulch

I think my problem is that as a child I saw too many Mighty Mouse cartoon movies! Yes. That would explain how i feel when such injustices occur and come to my attention. Alas! I am in touch with the all too real world. I am still waiting for someone to respond to my post suggesting that despite Ron Paul's misguided position on abortion, that we should not let that stop each of us from casting a vote for him if he were to get the nomination and to lend support to his campaign to achieve that nomination.

galt

I will not vote for anyone who is not a stone killer. I want a very bloody minded person in charge of the military. It is time for the Romans to send in the Legions and Kick Ass. Our proper business is NOT nation building. We are more suited to nation wrecking.

I suspect Ron Paul of being an altruist in libertarian clothing. Feh! If I see the slightest glimmer of kindness, decency or compassion in a candidate, I will not vote for him. I want someone who is very lean and very mean. The time for goodness and compassion is past. Now is the time for pain and destruction. The world needs a good purging.

Ba'al Chatzaf

galt

I will not vote for anyone who is not a stone killer. I want a very bloody minded person in charge of the military. It is time for the Romans to send in the Legions and Kick Ass. Our proper business is NOT nation building. We are more suited to nation wrecking.

I suspect Ron Paul of being an altruist in libertarian clothing. Feh! If I see the slightest glimmer of kindness, decency or compassion in a candidate, I will not vote for him. I want someone who is very lean and very mean. The time for goodness and compassion is past. Now is the time for pain and destruction. The world needs a good purging.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Ah, you are out of place and time. Anyway, where are we to send what legions for selfish what?

--Brant

Edited by Brant Gaede