Richard Paey: Casualty Of War

Michael Russell

On another thread, Chris Grieb was rightly "disgusted" that more people seemed to be concerned about the plight of Paris Hilton than that of Richard Paey. I'm ashamed to admit that I hadn't heard of Mr. Paey before Chris's post. I am outraged over this case, and yes, Chris, so should we all.

Here are some links to articles about the case of Richard Paey:

Pill Sham

Radley Balco on Richard Paey

And here's a link to an organization working on Mr. Paey's behalf:

Pain Relief Network

Mick

On another thread, Chris Grieb was rightly "disgusted" that more people seemed to be concerned about the plight of Paris Hilton than that of Richard Paey. I'm ashamed to admit that I hadn't heard of Mr. Paey before Chris's post. I am outraged over this case, and yes, Chris, so should we all.

Here are some links to articles about the case of Richard Paey:

Pill Sham

Radley Balco on Richard Paey

And here's a link to an organization working on Mr. Paey's behalf:

Pain Relief Network

Mick

This is pathetic. It's a case where a prosecutor should have used his discretion not to prosecute. Both Florida and New York have 1970's era drug laws that were formed when drug gangs were commiting murder in epidemic numbers. The illegal drug business has largely gone corporate and innocent citizens such as Richard Paey still pay the price.

Jim

This pisses me off royally. I also suffer from chronic pain, but not near as badly as Richard Paey. It has frustrated me for years that doctors are afraid to help my pain. When they suggest taking Motran or Aspirin, I feel unheard and insulted, as these are almost like placebos in treating acute pain and they do not even begin to touch it.

We are Self-Sovereigns, self-owners, who have rights to “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.” We have the right to self-medicate.

-Ross Barlow.

Russ;

I agree completely. I am very thankful I haven't suffered the pain you and others suffer.

I hope some of you caught the statement about Richard that no one could be taking that much pain medication. Apparently the law school the prosecutor attended also gave a medical license.

• 1 month later...

I have some good news. On June 12th the Florida Parole Board granted an expedited hearing for Richard Paey. Normally a hearing cannot be granted until a third of the sentence has been served. That would be 8 and 1/3 years.

Richard Paey is not out of prison which would be total good news. The Pain Relief Network strongly recommends letters to Govenor Crist at this time.

In the letters try and convince the Governor not alienate him. You don't have prove how many times you have Galt's speech.

Edited by Chris Grieb

• 1 month later...

I have some really good news.

Richard Paey has been granted a full pardon by the state of Florida. He is being released from prison today.

The state of Florida may actually look at their mandatory minimum drug sentences.

Richard Paey has been granted a full pardon by the state of Florida. He is being released from prison today.

The state of Florida may actually look at their mandatory minimum drug sentences.

Good deal,

Alfonso

Whoop!!!!!!!

That is wonderful. It probably didn't make a difference, but that is the first time that I have called or written a letter about a serious issue and have seen action eventually taken.

--Dustan

Chris, do you have any idea what Richard Paey is going to do for pain medication now that he's free? How will he avoid having the same problem again?

His case is tragic, but even worse are the instances of people who have died because they were prevented from getting the marijuana they desperately needed. The drug laws are completely insane. And what's even more insane is that there probably is not a politician in the country who doesn't know it.

Barbara

Barbara; This question about pain medication has not been addressed in any of the items I have looked at. He has a morphine pump which provides a stronger pain medication that the pills he was getting.

Your comments about the drug laws and politicians are absolutely true.

I hope readers of OL will write Govenor Crist letters supporting his pardoning Richard Paey. In the letter you might suggest looking at Florida's mandatory minimums drug sentences.

I do not recommend making all drugs legal so that the getting Richard Paey is not seen as just a drug legalization issue.

• 1 month later...