Immigration: the new central government power grab

Steve Gagne

Looks like this new "comprehensive" bill has a lot more "gotchas" than even we expected. It's so comprehensive that it even requires the IRS to be involved, not just with the illegals. You won't even be able to hire a kid to mow your lawn without giving the kid your SSN & getting a verified work history from him for the last five years -- verified, of course , against a grand IRS employment database. Then you'll have to wait 10 days for a response from the IRS to hire him. You'll have to keep the records like they were your personal income tax records, for 3 years. This is getting worse and worse and worse....

http://www.raleighchronicle.com/2007051707.html

Looks like this new "comprehensive" bill has a lot more "gotchas" than even we expected. It's so comprehensive that it even requires the IRS to be involved, not just with the illegals. You won't even be able to hire a kid to mow your lawn without giving the kid your SSN & getting a verified work history from him for the last five years -- verified, of course , against a grand IRS employment database. Then you'll have to wait 10 days for a response from the IRS to hire him. You'll have to keep the records like they were your personal income tax records, for 3 years. This is getting worse and worse and worse....

http://www.raleighchronicle.com/2007051707.html

Jesus bleeping Christ...

Jim

Amnesty by any other name...but we can get to that later. Has anyone noticed some of the other things contained in the bill?

Here's a few to get things started:

SEC. 113. REPORTS ON IMPROVING THE EXCHANGE OF INFORMATION ON NORTH AMERICAN SECURITY.

Why is the Senate worried about NORTH AMERICAN security? I would be tickled to death if they would just provide for United States security. This is straight out of the SPP guidelines!

(b)(3)(E) [secretaries shall make an annual report on the progress made] in developing and implementing an immigration security strategy for North America that works toward the development of a common security perimeter [emphasis added].
    Same thing again! The Senate wants to develop a NORTH AMERICAN security perimeter. SPP all the way!
    There are several other items straight from SPP such as sharing common inteligence information.

SEC. 114. IMPROVING THE SECURITY OF MEXICO'S SOUTHERN BORDER.

No, you didn't misread that! It says SOUTHERN border!

(a)(2)to use the assessment made under paragraph (1) [the specific needs of Guatemala and Belize in maintaining the security of the international borders of such countries;] to determine the financial and technical support needed by Guatemala and Belize from Canada, Mexico, and the United States to meet such needs; [emphasis added]
    Now we're going to pay to defend Central America's borders?
    (b)(2)[The Secretary of State shall]...establish a program to provide needed equipment, technical assistance, and vehicles to manage, regulate, and patrol the international borders between Mexico and Guatemala and between Mexico and Belize.
    We're doing such a great job on our southern border that we're going to help Mexico with hers! I guess that means that the Guatelmalans and Belizeians[?] will then be pouring into Mexico--on their way to the United States, of course!

SEC. 117. COOPERATION WITH THE GOVERNMENT OF MEXICO.

©[The Secretary of State shall assist] in the development of economic opportunities and providing job training for citizens and nationals in Mexico.
    Now we're going to train the Mexicans to do the jobs that Americans won't do!
    (d) Consultation Requirement- Federal, State, and local representatives in the United States shall consult with their counterparts in Mexico concerning the construction of additional fencing and related border security structures along the international border between the United States and Mexico, as authorized by this title, before the commencement of any such construction in order to--
    (1) solicit the views of affected communities;
    (2) lessen tensions; and
    (3) foster greater understanding and stronger cooperation on this and other important security issues of mutual concern. [emphasis added]
    Where's Bill Clinton when you need him? What in the world does "consult" mean? Obviously it must mean more than "notify". Does it mean "obtain permission"? If so, how much fencing do you think will get built, regardless of how much has been authorized by this (or any other) bill?

---------------------

I'll stop there for now. Does any of this bother any objectivists out there? For those that have researched the SPP proposals, do you agree that this bill is in lock-step with them, or do I need to put my tinfoil hat back on?

The media debates whether this is an amnesty bill or not. I haven't heard anyone talk about any of these other issues though.

I've already sent letters to the U.S. senators from my state (Florida -- Martinez & Nelson), as well as President Bush, asking them to shelve this monstrosity. since it's not time yet time to use bullets against public officials, I wrote the letters in the other language they would understand: Spanish.

• 3 weeks later...