Jerry Falwell Dies: Good Riddance

Michael Russell

Mich,

Thanks for the update.

I was glad to see at least one prominent intellectual refuse to bow down at the Falwell coffin.

I was very impressed with Hitchen's criticism of Falwell's support of the worst elements in Israel. I also liked Hitchens pointing out some of those offensive statements Falwell had made about American Jews.

I hope no person forgets Falwell and Pat Robertson's offensive comments at the time of 9-11.

Edited by Chris Grieb

Verminous religious nutjob Jerry Falwell saw what his fellow verminous religious nutjobs did on 9/11...and blamed it on the feminists and gays. :no: Guess he didn't own a mirror.

It is said: “Do not speak ill of the dead.” (Chilon of Sparta, one of the Seven Sages, quoted by Diogenes Laertius, *The Lives and Opinions of the Eminent Philosophers*). But, sorry, this guy really pissed me off. May he rest in peace and not see his imaged Heaven nor his imagined Hell. He does not deserve either.

Jerry Falwell was a tragic-comic figure in recent American history. Tragic, because with his great TV outreach he led so many of his mindless flock toward irrational ideas and theocratic politics. Comic, because he was so transparently ridiculous. He tended to make one ashamed of being an American; kind of like being sullied by association.

Good old Barry Goldwater once said about Falwell: “Somebody ought to kick his ass.” Well, death just did.

-Ross Barlow.

Edited by Ross Barlow

Normally I don't like to speak ill of the dead, but ... what comes around goes around.
I was glad to see at least one prominent intellectual refuse to bow down at the Falwell coffin.

I was very impressed with Hitchen's criticism of Falwell's support of the worst elements in Israel. I also liked Hitchens pointing out some of those offensive statements Falwell had made about American Jews.

I hope no person forgets Falwell and Pat Robertson's offensive comments at the time of 9-11.

Verminous religious nutjob Jerry Falwell saw what his fellow verminous religious nutjobs did on 9/11...and blamed it on the feminists and gays. Guess he didn't own a mirror.
May he rest in peace and not see his imaged Heaven nor his imagined Hell. He does not deserve either.

Jerry Falwell was a tragic-comic figure in recent American history. Tragic, because with his great TV outreach he led so many of his mindless flock toward irrational ideas and theocratic politics. Comic, because he was so transparently ridiculous. He tended to make one ashamed of being an American; kind of like being sullied by association.

Good old Barry Goldwater once said about Falwell: “Somebody ought to kick his ass.” Well, death just did.

Hey. There's no groupthink happening here, is there.

The primary difference between tragedy and black comedy can be characterized by the difference between the movie 'Fail Safe" and the movie "Dr. Strangelove". That is, the former sees a disastrous series of events, as the accidental if inevitable result of things out of man's control; whereas the latter sees the same disastrous series of events as the result of man's deliberate, insane stupidity.

Seems to me with you all talking shit about the dead man, if you believed what you were saying you would put it under the Humour topic (as in black comedy) rather than under Rants.

I mean, you're asserting crap about a "theocracy"; there are over 30,000 different xian denominations, which one gets to take up the mantle of state religion? I mean, really. They can't even get it together long enough to agree on ANYTHING, even their own assertions about "who is GOD?" These are the people you're demonizing as a bunch of statist pigs who are going to ruin our lives?.... LP is more likely to start an o-ist "state religion" a-la L. Ron Hubbard's admonition, than a bunch of air-headed xian preachers.

Can you give me 98 cents change back from my buck?