Wiki: Just when you thought it was relatively reliable...

John Dailey

~ Some forums have referred to Wiki's lowering worth, but, I haven't caught very much on this specific prob in any threads here or in RoR, though it's a couple months old now. I really have little to comment on here about it, but, thought quite a few here would find this set of articles (especially their linked follow-ups) worth reading.

The 'Crisis'

Is "Essjay" merely the 'tip-of-the-non-credibility-iceberg' for a possibly sinking Wiki, or, is there something more?

thread commentings

LLAP

J:D

~ Some forums have referred to Wiki's lowering worth, but, I haven't caught very much on this specific prob in any threads here or in RoR, though it's a couple months old now. I really have little to comment on here about it, but, thought quite a few here would find this set of articles (especially their linked follow-ups) worth reading.

The 'Crisis'

Is "Essjay" merely the 'tip-of-the-non-credibility-iceberg' for a possibly sinking Wiki, or, is there something more?

thread commentings

LLAP

J:D

Wikipedia is still a good place for technical topics. I have no problem with their entries for mathematical subjects. While some of the articles may be a tad "thin" almost all provide good references and cross links into the literature of the subject. Wiki may not be the final authoritative place but it is often a good place to start looking. If find Wiki and Arxiv to be good sources of information in physics and math. I go to Standford Plato for philosophical material.

Ba'al Chatzaf