Activists Want Chimp Declared a 'Person'

Michael Stuart Kelly

Activists Want Chimp Declared a 'Person'

By WILLIAM J. KOLE

Associated Press Writer

Breitbart

May 4, 2007

This article speaks for itself. Notice that the idea is not to establish a category of animal with special legal considerations. It is to actually legally declare a chimp to be a human being.

I better stop writing before my quirky imagination runs wild with this one. The metaphysical implications are...

Nope.

I am going to stop.

Michael

Michael, to be fair, they only want to declare the chimp a 'legal person', not a human being. After all, corporations are 'legal persons' too.

Laure,

They use that language in Brazil for corporations. I thought in English the term was "legal entity." I would have no problem with certain animals receiving a "legal entity" classification on an ad hoc basis so their care can be assured and a guardian assigned.

Michael

Michael, to be fair, they only want to declare the chimp a 'legal person', not a human being. After all, corporations are 'legal persons' too.

They use that language in Brazil for corporations. I thought in English the term was "legal entity." I would have no problem with certain animals receiving a "legal entity" classification on an ad hoc basis so their care can be assured and a guardian assigned.

Nope; it's the same in English.

Judith

This just highlights when common sense gets battered by inadequate statute laws.....whatever the country.

Our precedent law here in UK is occasionally an ass, but its when it gets tinkered with by parliament that the asinine comes shining through. And the Animal Rights brigade are so often ahead of the game played by the legal eagles....

Did Clyde ever get paid for his superb roles in the "Any Which Way " films??

I heard last night that one of the issues is people want the chimp to be able to live and survive. An animal can't get this sort of protection. The animal has to be a legal person.

Judith, Haven't several eccentricities willed large fortunes to their pets. Is a trustee appointed for the animals?

Edited by Chris Grieb

Judith, Haven't several eccentricities willed large fortunes to their pets. Is a trustee appointed for the animals?

I'm not sure how that works. I've got to check it out to provide for my own animals. As I understand it from talking to my own lawyer about it, and it probably varies depending on state law, one would probably do best appoint a person as trustee for the animal and set aside a fund to provide for the animal's needs for his or her life. I'll probably try to do something with the local rescue group.

Judith

If we care about our loved pets - we would want to do our best to ensure their quality of life continues once we are gone. Makes sense really. So appointing a trustee (if we have no person we know who is able to care for them in the manner we know and trust) to carry out our desired code of conduct also makes sense.

I guess for the chimp and Austrian law the circumstances rather demand this quirky course of events. One cannot disagree with anyone wanting to safeguard the chimp's status....but when Animal Rights Activists are mentioned the media's eyes light up...and we fidget in our seats.....

Contrast this story and Knut, the Polar Bear cub at Berlin Zoo.....where the Animal Rights mob decided it might be best to cull the beast rather than have its wild status degraded by being reared by humans.

Chimp - Polar Bear......degrees of "animalness"????

Austrians - Germans......degrees of "animal rightedness"????

(Discuss)