And in Final Jeopardy! ...

The "Final" category tonight (1 May) on the syndicated "Jeopardy!", currently the College Tournament coming from USC, was Fictional Characters. And the answer seeking a question, to decide the quarterfinal match:

"This character was mentioned in the first line of Atlas Shrugged."

Host Alex Trebek mentioned, after the "think music" and before revealing their answers, that it was from "the very famous novel by Ayn Rand," pronouncing her first name correctly.

Fitting the format perfectly, the needed question was, o'course, "Who is John Galt?" One of the three players got it right, the girl from the University of Nebraska, who came in second. She may advance, depending on how other players do this week, to the semifinal matches next week.

As for the others, the guy from Yale wrote "Who is Zeus?" and the guy from Stanford, who had a sizable lead and won the match, groped for it with "Who is Atlas???"

I don't recall a Rand-related answer-and-question to ever be used before in Final Jeopardy!, the last and usually most difficult level of the game show. Many allusions to her books have appeared in clues for the first two rounds, though the clues almost always have mentioned her name.

Interesting post, Steve. These days, Rand is referred to more and more often, and it is generally assumed that everyone is familiar with her works. This assumption, of course, is a self-fulfilling one; when people see the constant mention of a writer they are not familiar with, they read her.

Some of you will know, but the younger ones cannot imagine, the difference in the mainstream -- and even intellectual -- treatment of Rand today as opposed to the 50s, 60s, 70s, even 80s. Even among most of those who disagree with her, she is treated with respect, as a serious thinker -- a great rarity in earlier days. And immensely relevant to the change has been the stream of books and articles about Objectivism and about Rand that has appeared over the last years, which clearly will continue. Even books and articles that are not favorable to Objectivism continue to bring it to the attention of readers.

At one time, it seemed possible that Rand's books could be killed by silence. That is impossible today. One cannot know what their ultimate effect on our world will be. One can know, however, that they will not be lost.

Barbara

It was quite a thrill to see Alex Trebek point out the final question last evening.

Who is the character named in the first line of Atlas Shrugged?

Did anyone else see it? The young lady who was trailing was the only one who wrote: "Who is John Galt?" but she was so far behind she did not end up winning.

The next fellow wrote: "Who is Zeus?"

The fellow who was far out in front also did not know and wrote: "Who is Atlas?" but he only bet a few hundred dollars and remainded the impressive winner.

What an unexpected pleasure to see the question and that one of the contestents did write the correct answer so that there on the screen to be seen by millions of viewers like me who watch Jeopardy: "Who is John Galt? :heart: "

Barbara and Steve, I thought the reference to Ayn Rand as great was a very good sign.

Steve, I think there have been other final Jeopardy's where Ayn Rand was referred too.

I think it was a good sign Alex pronounced her name correctly.

Galt,

I rarely miss Jeopardy.

Some years ago on a College Tournament a book was used on the set that was an obvious reference to one of Rand's works. Models of book are at the end of the contestant's board with the title displayed.

Rand continues to be featured in the popular culture.

It would be nice if she got into more colleges. I was a little disappointed that only one of the three contestants got the question.

Edited by Chris Grieb

Hi Chris,

Thanks for not pointing out to me that there already was a thread about the fact that Ayn Rand and Atlas Shrugged were prominently presented on Jeopardy.

I watch it often if not daily with my wife who is away this week on a business trip. She would have gotten a kick out of seeing the final category revealed and the fact that someone wrote the correct question, "Who is John Galt?"

It was so obvious that the other two contestents who led in the game had not read the book. I wonder if viewers will be prompted to buy the book themselves now as a consequence?

galt

Galt,

Maybe Michael or Kat can combine the two topics.

Speaking for myself I don't think I've ever said I want to read a novel because it was mentioned on Jeopardy.

Edited by Chris Grieb

It was quite a thrill to see Alex Trebek point out the final question last evening.

Who is the character named in the first line of Atlas Shrugged?

Did anyone else see it? The young lady who was trailing was the only one who wrote: "Who is John Galt?" but she was so far behind she did not end up winning.

The next fellow wrote: "Who is Zeus?"

The fellow who was far out in front also did not know and wrote: "Who is Atlas?" but he only bet a few hundred dollars and remainded the impressive winner.

What an unexpected pleasure to see the question and that one of the contestents did write the correct answer so that there on the screen to be seen by millions of viewers like me who watch Jeopardy: "Who is John Galt? :heart: "

This was the start of a different thread. I merged it with the present one.

It is good to see Rand's work referenced at the level of game shows.

Michael