Health freedom action alert:

mweiss

Mary Ann and I went to our local Chamomile health food store to buy some supplements today and we were handed a four page Xeroxed document about new legislation that will be voted on at the end of this month. We have three days to voice our opinions to congress.

I found the article that was on the printed copy at this location on the web:

http://www.newstarget.com/021789.html

Apparently, this proposed legislation is far more invasive and harmful to those who rely on supplements and natural foods than prior attempts at regulation. The article link above explains in detail, with a copy of the proposed legislation.

At the very least, there is a docket comment form where you can voice your opinion on Docket 2006D-0480:

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/oc/d...&AGENCY=FDA

Contacting our local congress people via phone and FAX is also effective:

For Connecticut people:

Chris Dodd

Ph. 202-224-2823

Fax: 202 224-1083

Joe Lieberman

Ph: 202-224-4041

Fax: 202 224-9750

We have until April 30 to comment on the docket. This is very important, if we are to remain free to buy supplements, use raw vegetable juices and other remedies without a prescription. This is one of the most blatant steps toward totalitarianism in the US.

GET YOUR VOICE HEARD ON THIS ISSUE.

Here is a letter I am proposing to fax to my senators and congressmen. Please feel free to critique and edit it--I'll consider all rational suggestions:

Dear Senator Dodd:

I am writing to express my opposition to the FDA’s proposed plan to reclassify all vitamins, supplements, herbs and vegetable juices as FDA-regulated drugs.

That such absurd ideas are being floated on taxpayer dollars is beyond reprehensible. It should be thrown out and completely invalidated as a blatant and criminal attempt at collusion between the FDA and the big drug companies.

Government has no moral right to dictate what goes on in the personal lives of the citizens. This legislation is an invasion of privacy, an affront to freedom of choice and is a dangerous and bold step toward totalitarianism within US borders.

I strongly urge you to vote against this, or any similar proposed legislation that aims to bring government even deeper into our private lives.

The only legitimate role of government is to protect individual rights. It should do that by preventing the initiation of force, by any party or organization, against any individual who has not commited an initiation of force against another individual or party. We are way beyond the scope of moral government, but this FDA proposal is so sinister that I had to speak up specifically about this matter.

If this matter comes before you for a vote, I ask that you consider what kind of world you want your children and grandchildren to inherit. Will it be a world where people are free to choose a healthy lifestyle, or one in which a totalitarian dictatorship has force individuals to become medicated slaves, beholden to a massive pharmaceutical cartel. The choice is yours.

Sincerely,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

Edited by Mark Weiss

Here is an interesting video put out by the Natural Solutions Foundation

http://www.healthfreedomusa.org

TITLE:

Nutricide - Criminalizing Natural Health, Vitamins, and Herbs

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5...634&q=codex

It has been long in the planning.

Since virtually no one responded to this topic, I must deduce that either, a: no one cares about this matter or even uses vitamins, or b: my letter was effectively written and needed no further comment.

So... I faxed the letter to my two senators, and I also added my signature to the docket mentioned in the video linked in the above posts.

I'm somewhat surprised that no one expressed even the slightest concern about this pending legislation, especially as Objectivists.

Since virtually no one responded to this topic, I must deduce that either, a: no one cares about this matter or even uses vitamins, or b: my letter was effectively written and needed no further comment.

So... I faxed the letter to my two senators, and I also added my signature to the docket mentioned in the video linked in the above posts.

I'm somewhat surprised that no one expressed even the slightest concern about this pending legislation, especially as Objectivists.

I missed this thread, Mark. Which House of Congress is going to vote? The trick is to let one vote. If it doesn't pass, that is that for now. If it does, then you mount your campaign against the other. Before that, you're not likely to get much traction. In the meantime, I'm dubious, for bills are always getting voted on in Congress, assuming they get out of committee.

--Brant

Mark; The problem for me is that I can't get upset about every stupid thing proposed by some Federal; agency. I thought some years ago a similar proposal was made and it was defeated.

Until these agencies are gone I think we will have problems of this sort.. People are taking these vitamins and supplements therefore they are a drug.

I think it is a little like eminent domain where we have gone from the idea of something for public use to public benefit.

Edited by Chris Grieb