Ronald Reagan: U.S. President, B-movie actor

Mick,

Do you now feel your remarks about Reagan too harsh?

-Victor

My remarks were knee-jerk and hyperbolic; Ronald Reagan was not evil. He may have been, as Barbara states "far and away the greatest president of the 20th century", but considering the presidents we've had in the 20th century that's damning with faint praise. Reagan is rightly credited with restoring the optimism of the American people, and his policies helped to grow the economy, but government spending spiraled out of control and the federal deficit ballooned. Like Ba'al I can't forgive him for sacrificing the lives of 241 marines, for no apparent reason, and then doing nothing about it. In fact he later illegally sold arms to the sponsors of the perpetrators of that dastardly deed.

"A few months ago, I told the American people I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and my best intentions still tell me that's true. But the facts and the evidence tell me it is not."

Ronald Reagan

Mick; I take back my comparison of you to Mike Nifong. My reaction to earlier posts was part of my reaction to the unbalanced criticism by leftists of Ronald Reagan. In regard to Beirut Reagan was smart enough to cut his loses unlike George W. Bush in Iraq.

Edited by Chris Grieb

Victor: What does the monkey on his back (presumably Bonzo) symbolize, if anything? I mean, it doesn't look like your standard issue chimp; he actually sort of looks like Jerry Ford, that is, if Ford were a monkey.

Edited by Robert Jones

Mick; I take back my comparison of you to Mike Nifong. My reaction to earlier posts was part of my reaction to the unbalanced criticism by leftists of Ronald Reagan. In regard to Beirut Reagan was smart enough to cut his loses unlike George W. Bush in Iraq.

No worries Chris; I'm a recovering lefty and I often slip back into their way of thinking. :)

Mick