Day I snorted my father's ashes, by Keith Richards

Michael Stuart Kelly

Day I snorted my father's ashes, by Keith Richards

by RICHARD SIMPSON

4th April 2007

Daily Mail

I am posting this for personal reasons. As an ex-addict, this thing hit me real hard for some reason I can't explain. I read the headline and thought, "No fucking way."

This is the kind of crap you do when you get addicted. From the article:

The Rolling Stones guitarist has told how he snorted his own father's ashes in a drugs binge.

"The strangest thing I've tried to snort? My father. I snorted my father," he said.

The 63-year-old detailed in a magazine interview how he mixed the ashes with cocaine and inhaled them.

He was cremated and I couldn't resist grinding him up with a little bit of blow.

"My dad wouldn't have cared - he didn't give a s***. It went down pretty well. And I'm still alive."

Here is what this means. The dude on the right is what what went up the nose of the dude on the left:

003KRichardsSplit2DM_468x254.jpg

Jesus H. Keeerist! That's really fucked up.

Michael

To be fair, Richards' manager said it was a joke.

Did Keith Richards Really Snort His Dad's Ashes? No — It Was A Joke!

By Kurt Loder

April 3, 2007

MTV News

From the article:

In a buzz-killing mood, though, we decided to check with Richards' longtime manager, Jane Rose. We asked her about the dad-snorting quotes in the NME interview. She responded with an e-mail:

"Said in jest," she explained. "Can't believe anyone took [it] seriously."

I don't know what to think based on the statements alone. I do know that a manager would see this as a PR nightmare, with serious financial repercussions.

Still, I do hope it was a joke. Snorting the ashes of the dead is really. really a sick thing to do. This is a really gross form of cannibalism with no point to it. You don't get high and there's not even the excuse of nutrition.

Michael

Snorting the ashes of the dead is really. really a sick thing to do.

I'm sorry for not really taking this seriously, but I couldn't help cracking up when I saw that.

~Elizabeth

No doubt it's silly, but I see nothing gross in it, at least nothing more gross than snorting cocaine itself. What does that little bit of ash matter?

Dragonfly,

From that angle, eating human flesh should not be gross. We eat beef so what's the difference? Human flesh is even nutritious.

Yuck!

Blegh!!!

Enjoy yourself if that's your thing. (And don't invite me over for dinner or to snort cocaine.)

:)

Michael

From that angle, eating human flesh should not be gross. We eat beef so what's the difference? Human flesh is even nutritious.

Well, there was that accident with an airplane in Chile, where the survivers remained alive by eating the dead people, so one day you might have to reconsider (I certainly hope for you that it won't be necessary... :sick:). Anyway, eating human flesh is not the same as ingesting some ashes from an incinerated dead body. Are you also repelled by the transplantation of human organs? They are even still alive! Yuck!

Well, there was that accident with an airplane in Chile, where the survivers remained alive by eating the dead people, so one day you might have to reconsider (I certainly hope for you that it won't be necessary... :sick:). Anyway, eating human flesh is not the same as ingesting some ashes from an incinerated dead body. Are you also repelled by the transplantation of human organs? They are even still alive! Yuck!

People should be thoroughly cooked first! No sushi! Yum, yum!

--Brant

I don't see what the big deal is about cannibalism. Once we're dead, we're meat anyway, so if you need to eat an already dead human to survive, why the hell not? I wouldn't think twice about it. Dig in.

Now killing someone to eat him/her is, of course, an entirely different matter....

Judith

Ugh! Revolting if true. :sick:

This is more rock folklore that makes for drama and legacy. This is right up there with other folklore that is reminiscent of other untruths--such as Elvis Presley shooting his mother and Rod Stewart having his stomach pumped after giving head to all the members of his band. Hmm, I don't think so.

Rolling_Stones_by_VPross.gif

Edited by Victor Pross

I don't see what the big deal is about cannibalism.

Actually, there are potential problems with cannibalism. The major concern is the transmission of various spongiform encephalopathies from one generation to the next. Probably the best known form of the disease is bovine spongiform ecephalopathy (BSE) or mad cow disease --- which is a disease of cattle, obviously --- but humans are also susceptible to similar diseases such as Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) and Kuru, also known as laughing sickness.

Spongiform encephalopathies are caused by prions which are malformed proteins. As such, they cannot be removed from foods by cooking or any other known means. BSE is passed in cattle by feeding them feed containing remains of dead cattle, especially the brain or parts that have been exposed to the brain or spinal fluid. The natives of Papua New Guinea used to practice a form of cannibalism in which they would eat the brains of their dead relatives. Although the practice was outlawed 50 years ago, there are still new cases of CJD and Kuru popping up in those populations.

Such concerns probably don't apply to cases in which the dead person has been completely reduced to ash, but the thought is still gross.

Darrell

Actually, there are potential problems with cannibalism. The major concern is the transmission of various spongiform encephalopathies from one generation to the next. Probably the best known form of the disease is bovine spongiform ecephalopathy (BSE) or mad cow disease --- which is a disease of cattle, obviously --- but humans are also susceptible to similar diseases such as Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) and Kuru, also known as laughing sickness.

Spongiform encephalopathies are caused by prions which are malformed proteins. As such, they cannot be removed from foods by cooking or any other known means. BSE is passed in cattle by feeding them feed containing remains of dead cattle, especially the brain or parts that have been exposed to the brain or spinal fluid. The natives of Papua New Guinea used to practice a form of cannibalism in which they would eat the brains of their dead relatives. Although the practice was outlawed 50 years ago, there are still new cases of CJD and Kuru popping up in those populations.

Such concerns probably don't apply to cases in which the dead person has been completely reduced to ash, but the thought is still gross.

Hmmm. If I'm ever in a plane crash, I'll remember not to eat the brains of those who didn't make it while I wait for help to arrive.

:sick:

I've never eaten brains before; no reason to start now.

Judith

Hmmm. If I'm ever in a plane crash, I'll remember not to eat the brains of those who didn't make it while I wait for help to arrive.

:sick:

I've never eaten brains before; no reason to start now.

Judith

If you go to Missoula, Montana you can order a humongous plate of calf brains for breakfast! But you won't want to retire there!

--Brant