Looking For A Real Life John Galt

CNA

My name is Angie. I live in Irvine, California. I'm 34 years old. After telling a friend a little bit about my life, he told me about the Ayn Rand Institute and told me I would enjoy her books and would find other people with similar beliefs and similar experiences with life and people.

I'm just looking for a pen pal to write through email and not message boards about life, past experiences and beliefs that are formed as a result of past and present situations dealing with people, etc. I don't have a preference if you are male or female. Just looking for someone to write to that has similar beliefs as mine. I'm just looking for somone that I can relate to.

I really would like to find another true John Galt so I do have some questions I would like to ask first. I know the answers to these questions. But as I said, if you know the answers to these questions, then I'll know you are for real.

What do you have to do on a daily basis while "in the present" in order to reach what Ayn Rand calls Atlantis; that is, freedom, happiness, individuality, "to think" for yourself, etc?

Why do you have to perform this action in the present rather than performing it regarding the past?

What sense is pronounced tremendously when going through her process of understanding and reaching what she calls Atlantis?

How long has it been for you?

I'm just looking for someone to write to and talk with who has gone through this process and has formed those beliefs as a result of this process.

The answers to the questions above are found in her philosophy. But in order to answer these questions, you either have to be extremely familiar with it or have actually gone through this process and have come to the same beliefs on your own abilities "to think for yourself" in terms of cause and effect. One of the questions above, even the most loyal follower who has not gone through this process won't know the answer. In order to answer this one question, you have to have gone through it.

I've been through this process so I know what Ayn Rand describes in her books, particularly Atlas Shrugged. This is why my friend told me about Ayn Rand and the Institute.

But as I said, I'm just looking for someone to talk with that knows her philosophy very well and/or has gone through this process of understanding. I'm still learning as I go along and it is a life long process. Once you start it, it stays with you until the day you pass away.

Even if you can answer just a few of these questions, I would still really like t speak with you through email and not message boards.

Hi Angie, welcome to Objectivist Living.

I am glad that Ayn Rand has touched your life and that you are seeking out other Objectivists to talk to. I remember when I first read Atlas Shrugged and was delighted that there was someone out there who saw things as I did and created such an integrated philosophy based on what I thought was MY worldview. :D

A really great way to find others who share your views is by participating in some of the discussions and becoming active in the Objectivist community. I met my own ideal man on another Objectivist forum about a year ago (see our story).

Now we have our own forum here with the best and the brightest of the Objectivist nouveau. Our focus here is more creative and historic and we are a fairly small group. We are a friendly group too. If you are a bit shy or reluctant to post because of the flame wars on other sites, rest assured that it is highly doubtful that you will find that stuff here. You may want to also want to check out a site called the Atlasphere, which has a huge membership (about 9,000) and is more geared toward networking and dating. You may just find your John Galt in the crowd.

Good luck,

Kat

(p.s. I deleted the duplicate post... minor housekeeping)

Hi, Kat. Thank you for the warm welcome. It's not really the wars that make me reluctant. I'm just a shy person. I can be very aggressive. But for the most part, I'm shy. I'm not really a people person. I'm not like most people obviously. And because of this I guess eccentricity, I have a hard time keeping long term friends. I get along better with men than I do women because what I value in life is far different than most women I've known.

Since I am shy, right now I feel more comfortable seeing if I can find someone that is willing to talk through email. I know the questions I posted are probably questions that would be difficult for people to understand or who would have an answer for them.

I've posted on other sites and haven't gotten a response. Even though I'm 34, I started her process inadvertently when I had just turned 16. About a year to a year and a half later, I saw what Ayn Rand describes as so much pain and destruction and it is truly terrifying to witness. When I talked with a good friend about my life a little, he told me about AR.

Obviously....LOL.....I'm shy but long winded. Since a lot of people have viewed this post, I guess maybe to help people not be so reluctant of the questions.....the answer to the first question is Introspection. And this is how you start that process of understanding. It doesn't happen overnight but if you stay on it long enough, you'll eventually see what AR describes in her books and it is scary to witness. Cheryl's demise when seeing it for the first time in Atlas Shrugged is a good indication of it and what you will see.

My friend now that told me about AR has been doing this introspection but differently than how most pyschologists tell you to do it but unfortunately he's afraid of it because he realized that what Ayn Rand talks about is correct. Since realizing it, he's not actively pursuing it anymore. He does pursue it sometimes. But for the most part, he isn't.

And I would like him to keep it up because truly it is an easy process to get through and truly her philosophy is very simple and is not that complex to understand. And we've been talking about this process and I guess I've been guiding him through it, but he won't let go of the contradictions and that philosophy and view of life. When someone is this reluctant to truly let go of it, it is because they are afraid of it. Obviously fear is one of the components of destruction. But I'm still working on him.

Maybe by giving the answer to the first question, maybe others won't be so reluctant to post replies and maybe find someone that will be willing to talk through emails on more personal subjects such as family issues, past experiences, etc.

But thank you, Kat, so much for the warm welcome. I'll get out there. It just takes me a while. And hopefully someone will respond.

Angie

I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm not looking for a date or that type of thing. I'm married and have a 5 year old son. I'm just looking to talk with someone that is pretty familiar with her philosophy or has gone through her process by introspection while in the present.

I heavily believe that every person is an individual and we all have our own personal reasons for doing what we do, just as long as we acknowledge and identify our actions and why we do them on a daily basis.

Why I do something may be far different than why you do them. So I'm not down on anybody if their actions and their reasons are different from why I do them.

Anyway.....I'm not looking for a date. Just someone to talk to and maybe talk about more personal issues such as I mentioned previously, family, past experiences, etc.

Hi Angie. I'm glad you clarified your intentions. Sorry for the misfire. You probably don't know this, but I am the romance leader over on RoR and a shameless match maker. I want everybody to find their match like I did, but Objectivists can be so damn difficult to match up! Thanks for stopping me in my tracks as I was tempted to set you up with someone here by the name of :-$ .

Since you are a mom too, stop on by to talk about family issues over on our new parenting forum. I strongly encourage you to interact with others with the same worldview. It seems like you have been an Objectivist for a long time but have come across very few other people in real life who share your perspective. I checked to see if there was an Ayn Rand meetup group near you, but there isn't. They are pretty easy to start up if you want to get a group together. Just stay clear of that crazy Hari Krishna who dominates the message boards at meetup.com as I see you have met. Believe me, he ain't no John Galt and he has been banned there before as well as other O'ist boards.

Warm wishes and best premises,

Kat

Unfortunately I have ran across the Krishna dude. I so have to laugh at him. He sent me an email that I found to be offensive so I sent it to meetup to report an abuse.

I also replied to his little post that he sent me and hope I don't get into trouble but probably will eventually block him because I am sure what I said will probably irritate him.

But yes, the word you use to describe him as "crazy" is an understatement.

LOL

Angie

• 4 weeks later...
You probably don't know this, but I am the romance leader over on RoR and a shameless match maker.

Is there anything like a list of definitions I could use to decipher the TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms) I see bandied about? If not, I'll be happy to start one. Please fill in the answers if you know them:

ARI - Ayn Rand Institute

IOS - ?

ITOE - ?

PAR - Passion of Ayn Rand

PARC - Passion of Ayn Rand's Critics

RoR - ?

SOLO - ?

TOC - The Objectivist Center

TIA - The Intellectual Activist?!?

tqk,

ARI - Ayn Rand Institute

IOS - Institute of Objectivist Studies (now TOC)

ITOE - Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology

PAR - Passion of Ayn Rand

PARC - Passion of Ayn Rand's Critics

RoR - Joe Rowlands' Rebirth of Reason site (rebirthofreason.com)

SOLO - Sense of Life Objectivists (now fractionated into RoR and Lindsay Perigo's SOLOPassion)

TOC - The Objectivist Center

TIA - The Intellectual Activist

Robert

Thanks you guys for those posts and clarifying some of the terminology. I haven't had a lot of time to go through the site probably in several weeks now as I have been falling behind with work, my son, and a recent family tragedy. But ocassionally, when I can find the time, I'm slowly going through the site again. I did a little bit lastnight, not much, but some and keeping these terms in mind did help me understand better what everyone was talking about. I've put up a few posts recently but that's about it unfortunately. But hopefully will soon when things aren't so hectic. But thank you for the posts. It clarified a lot and has helped me understand better what everyone is talking about.

Angie :D

• 6 months later...

Mike, I second your big ass Dayyyyaammmm

Oh, my God, old posts are now coming back to haunt me. hehehehehehehehe. My, oh, my. You know, this post or thread wasn't speaking in a romantic way and looking for a real life John Galt and wanting to hook up with somebody in that way. I was interested in finding someone that knew the philosophy extremely well that wanted to talk through email about family, past situations, etc. I have found several people that are well versed in it and do talk through email. That's what I was looking for. But I did find someone that knows it better than others and yes, Victor, that is you. So in that sense, I have found my real life John Galt.

By the way, anyone reading this, regarding the questions that I asked up above in the first post, the answers are spread out throughout my posts here on OL. I answered the first 2 questions directly. But the last 2 answers to the 3rd and 4th questions are spread out in my posts. I won't answer those questions directly. Those are answers that I want someone to tell me first due to their own experience with it and firsthand knowledge of it.

Angie

Angie, I'm bringing back memories, huh? Well, us Canadian folk know the philosophy better, of course. Look at the biggies in Objectivism. Hee-hee. Listen, we can try the platonic friendship thing if you wanna....don't want to break the spirit of your original post here. :cry: [um, kdding]

Edited by Victor Pross

• 3 months later...

Life as a box of chocolates.

Angie: “I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm not looking for a date or that type of thing. I'm married and have a 5 year old son. I'm just looking to talk with someone that is pretty familiar with her philosophy or has gone through her process by introspection while in the present.”

Kat: “Hi Angie. I'm glad you clarified your intentions. Sorry for the misfire. You probably don't know this, but I am the romance leader over on RoR and a shameless match maker. I want everybody to find their match like I did, but Objectivists can be so damn difficult to match up! Thanks for stopping me in my tracks as I was tempted to set you up with someone here by the name of :-$ .”

I can’t help but look at this thread and laugh in a good natured way. For those who may still be unaware, Angie and I have hooked up and are mapping out our plans to meet and prepare for a life together. And yet, in this thread, she is the only female OL member (to my knowledge) who had decreed a “no dating” policy when first joining in March of 2006. And when I joined OL in June, I had zero intentions of looking for a date. In September, we had posted ‘Love in Bloom’ declaring our love for each other. Now here it is 2007, and we’ll be meeting as “soul mates.” Angie and I are deliriously happy. It really is incredible the deck of cards life can hand you. This reminds me of a John Lennon lyric: “Life is what happens to you when you’re busy making other plans.”

Ayn Rand expresses her ideal of love through her characters and articulates it in The Fountainhead when Roark says this:

“I love you, Dominique. As selfishly as the fact that I exist. As selfishly as my lungs breathe air. I breathe for my own necessity, for the fuel of my body, for my survival. I’ve given you, not my sacrifice or my pity, but my ego and my naked need. This is the only way you can wish to be loved. This is the only way I can want you to love me.”

Now substitute the name “Dominique” for “Angie”, and you’ll understand how I feel about Angie.

This post was stirred by the thought of Valentine’s Day. I wonder what our romance director—Kat—will have in mind for hopeful romantics and current lovers.

:heart:

Edited by Victor Pross

Victor; Your and Angie's story sounds like a 30ths screwball comedy. Go for it! My best.

Katherine Hepburn and Carry Grant in Bringing up Baby, I hope!

edit: Our story has unfolded with a strong plot theme: two people who want something very much—each other—and there are barriers in the way calling for a resolution for the happy ending. :)

Edited by Victor Pross

Victor, get your ass out there!!!

I was just thinking yesterday, in fact, that you and Angie were supposed to be meeting sometime this month. C'mon, give us the goods. When is it happening? I thought it was this weekend.

When you find your "John Galt" or "Dagny" you gotta make it happen no matter how long it takes and how complicated things get.

btw - I guess my intuition was right. Angie was fishing.... :)

(I suspected that based on my own experience. I was living with someone when I encountered MSK and somebody had to go.)

Wishing the best to you both,

Kat

the shameless matchmaker

Victor, get your ass out there!!!

I was just thinking yesterday, in fact, that you and Angie were supposed to be meeting sometime this month. C'mon, give us the goods. When is it happening? I thought it was this weekend.

When you find your "John Galt" or "Dagny" you gotta make it happen no matter how long it takes and how complicated things get.

btw - I guess my intuition was right. Angie was fishing.... :)

(I suspected that based on my own experience. I was living with someone when I encountered MSK and somebody had to go.)

Wishing the best to you both,

Kat

the shameless matchmaker

Kat,

Yeah, we are still to meet. Unfortunately have run into some snags. :( Oy, very frustrating. Without going into too many details, it will happen but just trying to get the timing right. It was originally set that Victor would come out to see me but I will be going out to see him instead. But even this is posing problems. I would like to go out there and see him for 2 weeks. Even one week would be very nice to finally meet and spend together. Victor and I have been very patient but not sure how much longer that patience will hold out. We've talked quite a bit about this. It may very well end up being for a very very short stay which neither one of us wants but will *settle* with if it ends up going down that route. Yuck. I don't want that and neither does Victor. You know, leave Friday night red eye and then come back Sunday night so it would really only give us one day to spend with each other. This will be our first meeting and I would like it to be more than just one day, one and a half days. You know? There wouldn't be time to do much of anything together in that one day span or so. He's started a few things on his end and has that going while I'm doing my side of things here. But if it ends up being for just a one day or so stay there to meet and spend with each other, then it will happen that way. But like I said, trying to time it right to extend that stay time with him. It will work out, just gotta get it right.

As for the other and my fishing, I have to laugh a bit. I wasn't looking then but KNEW I would be eventually but wasn't planning on that aspect of it for a while. You and I had talked a bit through PMs when I first came to OL. Since OL was pretty much my full blown initiation into internet message boards, O'ist on top of it, I wasn't aware that the title of this thread was the typical pick up line. Oy Being knew to O'ism and had recently read AS for the first time which was my introduction to the philosophy in written form, I was looking for someone that was versed in it and I could talk with them. That was the reason I put this thread up, not because I was putting it out there as a pick up line to date someone or what have you. Even though I wasn't looking and we had talked about this through PMs, I did explain a bit and said when I was ready I would let you know. Well, it snuck up on me when I was least expecting it as it seems to work so often. :wink:

Oh, definitely someone had to go, with or without meeting Victor or anyone else for that matter. That whole situation should have happened a long time ago but finally came to a head sooner than I had thought. It almost happened literally within weeks of my coming to OL and posting for the first time but ultimately didn't. It was just a matter of making the decision. It's not an easy decision to make when it is a relationship that has gone on for some time, almost 14 years. But it was a decision I knew was coming. It was just a matter of getting the pieces lined up correctly before dropping the bomb so to speak. Well, the bomb finally got dropped last year and I am extremely happy it happened. It was definitely one of the best decisions I have made in a long time. It was a decision that should have been made a while ago but just wasn't quite ready yet.

And then I met my baby Victor very shortly before making that decision and finally getting out. :) He is the best thing that has happened to me in a very very long time. So with the ending of one chapter of my life and leaving and closing it out which has made me tremendously happy, I met an amazing man that has added so much to my life. I've been around enough, not naive at all, to recognize a good man when I see him !!

But at any rate, everything is going absolutely wonderful with the exception of the snags I've personally run up against and some of the snags Victor has run up against. We both want more than a day or so to meet each other and spend some time together. This is the last option to take. It is an option we both don't want to take but if necessary will. But I will be working on this aspect of it and making sure that the stay will be longer than 1 to 1.5 days. It will work out !! It will be soon. But when the obstacles are finally overcome which they will be, we'll definitely let everyone know. God, I can't wait. We talk everyday, either on the phone or internet and I miss him dearly, wanting very much to finally meet. But completely frustrated and getting irritated with the stuff on my end as well as his. But anyway, it will definitely happen and I am so looking forward to it !! We are going to have so much fun together !!

Angie

Kat,

Angie pretty much covers it. There you have the vague distilled essence of it. Angie and I are coming up against some hurdles—not totally unlike some of yours in trying to establish your relationship with MSK. Don’t get me wrong—we are meeting. But we need to resolve an issue so that our meeting will be longer than 1.5 days. Hell, I make love longer than that [i will flatter myself] and I want to take Angie to a gorgeous mansion restaurant. We need our time.

Victor

Victor and Angie,

I am sorry it didn't work out for meeting this month. Life sure gets complicated. I do hope you are able to get together soon. Michael and I couldn't make our planned first meeting either and that was a huge disappointment; however, we were able to meet a couple weeks later for a long weekend with very little time alone. Family and work commitments sometimes make travel difficult and I understand completely the frustration of it all. If you ever need any lessons on how to move mountains, let me know. ;)

Kat

Victor & Angie; 30ths screwball comedies did not go smoothly. We are all cheering you on.

Ah, Chris. You are talking to a major film buff—expert at that!

The Romantic elements in the 1930s 'screwball comedies' often depicted a couple who are seemingly opposites--but destined to complement each other. This element provided the dramatic tension to the audience who knew that the pair would eventually fall in love, that the two of them were meant for one another, but wondered how this would come about and under what circumstances. Otherwise, the romantic comedies of the 1930s (and early 40s) almost always revolved around an idle rich socialite who comes into conflict with the guy who has to work for a living—like in Bringing Up Baby or has to overcome her family's insistence that the man in her life is unacceptable because of his circumstances—as in Holiday.

Mind you, my romance with Angie is in color and is rather panoramic. :cool:

-Victor

edit: I LOVE Bringing up baby and The Awful Truth. Funny stuff.

Edited by Victor Pross

Victor and Angie,

I am sorry it didn't work out for meeting with Angie this month. Life sure gets complicated. I do hope you are able to get together soon. Michael and I couldn't make our planned first meeting either and thatwas a huge disappointment; however, we were able to meet a couple weeks later for a long weekend with very little time alone. Family and work commitments sometimes make travel difficult and I understand completely the frustration of it all. If you need any lessons on how to move mountains, let me know. ;)

Kat

Kat,

Speak up! We are all ears! In fact, if you want to help with the Victor and Angie Meeting foundation, that would be great.

-Victor