George H. Smith B-Day!

kgregglv

George H. Smith B-Day!

by Kenneth R Gregg

The philosopher, author and lecturer George H[amilton] Smith (b. 2/10/49) has specialized in two areas close to my own heart, freethought and freedom, and has been the author of numerous essays and books instrumental in both fields. Author of Atheism: The Case Against God, Atheism, Ayn Rand and Other Heresies, The Lysander Spooner Reader, The State (by Franz Oppenheimer) and more recently Why Atheism?, has completed a new book on liberty (I do not know the working title), in addition to his schedule of lecturing and debating. Known best for the logical clarity of his exposition, Smith is known for plumbing the depths of the most difficult subject in a manner which makes almost any topic surprisingly easy to understand, a feat unmatched by almost any other philosopher.

Smith, although noting certain positive elements within Christianity, authored the classic work criticising religion in general and Christianity in particular, Atheism: The Case Against God. There has been no other more influential freethought work in the last half century. His debates with theists of various stripes and lectures on freethought have been significant to both sides of the matter.

Smith became known as a leading independent libertarian intellectual since 1970 with a deep grasp of several schools of thought: Ayn Rand's epistemological and moral ideas, Murray Rothbard's anarchocapitalism, Nisbet's conservatism (through lectures by Nisbet while in Arizona) and even Robert LeFevre's antipolitical "freedom philosophy". Smith's "Rational Anarchism"

"is grounded in the belief that we are fully capable, through reason, of discerning the principles of justice; and that we are capable, through rational persuasion and voluntary agreement, of establishing whatever institutions are necessary for the preservation and enforcement of justice. It is precisely because no government can be established by means of reason and mutual consent that all Objectivists should reject that institution as unjust in both theory and practice."

Rational anarchism, like more recent efforts, has been a thoughtful integration of objectivism and free market anarchism, and forged the direction which much of libertarian thinking has progressed since he formulated his views, although not often credited for his accomplishments."

Smith is also known for his dry sense of humor and wry wit which often brings as many to his side of a conversation as his deep grasp of both theory and history. On a personal note, I've been a friend of George's since the early 1970's and can confirm this effect. Happy Birthday George!

Just a thought.

Just Ken

CLASSical Liberalism

~ I have not read his books.

~ I have read MUCH of his cyber-commentings.

~ My hat's off to the guy. He knows whereof he speaks. -- He also knows not only how to show fools as being such by their own words, but when to be subtle...and...when to finally shoot the arrows. --- Like Rand, he does not 'suffer fools gladly.' Or, more apropos, to paraphrase her quoting (of someone; somebody fill in here?) to Snyder (back when): -> It is not fools to which he seeks to address.

~ Oh, H-B GHS. Don't blow out the candles. May they keep burning!

LLAP

J:D

Edited by John Dailey

Let me join in the celebration. George Smith has done a great deal for the freedom movement over the years. He has always struck me as a very rational and reasonable person. May he have many more years.

• 1 year later...

Ken: "Known best for the logical clarity of his exposition, Smith is known for plumbing the depths of the most difficult subject in a manner which makes almost any topic surprisingly easy to understand, a feat unmatched by almost any other philosopher."

That does indeed name what is so remarkable about George's writings. And he brings to issues a highly individual slant that is always interesting. I look forward to reading his new book.

Happy birthday, George!

Barbara

• 2 years later...

Happy Birthday George!

I ran into a couple of your old girlfriends and they gave me these cards for you...

1487959nismh348yc.jpg

700472fy0h6fgpbn.gif

953731jp601573yo.jpg

And of course, in honor of Carol, I have to include one with a pussy cat in it...

2139423qrb04d4f5e.gif

Thank you for all the knowledge that you've imparted to us in this last year.

Adam

I didn't know you were 73. Makes you older than me! It must have been embarrassing, though, to graduate from high school at the age of 28. Oh, well, at least you eventually got caught up in your education, except in social skills.

--Brant

happy 73rd!

Now, who amongst our kin and kith

Can best discourse with wit and pith

Of law and history and myth-

And who's the best to discourse with?

Why George of course, our Mr PSmith

Many more, George

Carol

-just 33 more years and you will catch up with me

Happy Birthday George!

I ran into a couple of your old girlfriends and they gave me these cards for you...

1487959nismh348yc.jpg

700472fy0h6fgpbn.gif

953731jp601573yo.jpg

And of course, in honor of Carol, I have to include one with a pussy cat in it...

2139423qrb04d4f5e.gif

Thank you for all the knowledge that you've imparted to us in this last year.

Adam

You know I love the kitties! And I know you would like to add one so you could enjoy the yowling and scratching, but it is no use hinting, I am not going to pick a fight with Angela or Ellen just for your sick entertainment.

I don't think George is aware of this thread. I think he reads OL mostly through email and actually comes here not so often to find new threads he might be interested in.

--Brant

So he wouldn't be interested in his own birthday?

I don't think George is aware of this thread. I think he reads OL mostly through email and actually comes here not so often to find new threads he might be interested in.

--Brant

If I were 73, I wouldn't be either. I'll be 68 in late March. That's bad enough. That's why I took my birthday out of my profile--also to avoid ID theft--I hate happy birthdays these days.

--Brant

grump

I didn't know you were 73. Makes you older than me! It must have been embarrassing, though, to graduate from high school at the age of 28. Oh, well, at least you eventually got caught up in your education, except in social skills.

--Brant

happy 73rd!

If I were 73, I wouldn't be either.

Why do you keep saying he's 73? The announcement on the main forum page says he's 63. So does Wikipedia. Is this add 10 day?

--Brant

happy 73rd!

If I were 73, I wouldn't be either.

Why do you keep saying he's 73? The announcement on the main forum page says he's 63. So does Wikipedia. Is this add 10 day?

It's only that I know the truth and am willing to share it with you. Be happy I don't deal in falsehoods!

--Brant

the very idea of doubting the veracity of the great GAEDE!

anyway, he's in great shape for 73--he might as well be 63!

--Brant

If I were 73, I wouldn't be either. I'll be 68 in late March. That's bad enough. That's why I took my birthday out of my profile--also to avoid ID theft--I hate happy birthdays these days.

--Brant

grump

I hear you. That is why I have 3 birthdays and will never be younger than 106, or older than 17, except on pension days or when paying bus fare, or at Happy Hour at the Hag & Sporran.