Bush won't reauthorize eavesdropping

Michael Stuart Kelly

Bush won't reauthorize eavesdropping

by James Vicini

Reuters

January 17, 2007

YES!!!!

Finally checks and balances are being used once again to ensure individual rights.

Note that wire-tapping and domestic spying on terrorism suspects is still very much a part of the USA defense strategy. But now the wise policy of the Founding Fathers, checks and balances against the abuse of power, has returned and a warrant once again will be needed.

This means that authorization from two divisions of the government, the Executive and the Judiciary, are needed to breach the rights of a citizen for defense purposes. That is as it should be, with one keeping an eye on the other. Since when does the USA law stipulate that the President has the sole power to determine who has individual rights or not? There is another word for that system of government. Freedom is not that word.

Michael

~ I'm not a 'conspiracy buff', but, with the way the govt's been going the last couple decades, I look askance nowadays at such...govt-image-serving advertisements. Call me paranoid, but, aren't there expectable excepting-type options for 'SECRET' Executive Orders that allow for exceptions to all publicly-established 'limitations'? You know, like what's publicly known about 'National Emergency' (or nowadays 'National Security'.)

LLAP

J:D

I guess I'm the only one in this country that's no worried about Bush and the so called wire-tapping.

Watching C-Span the other day I saw an interview with Paul Tibbits. He's the guy that flew the Enola Gay and dropped the bomb on the Japs. I wrote to him in 02 and got a reply. Anyway he was telling about his time before August 6, 1945 when he was getting ready. It seems the FBI found 4 felons working on his crew. He called them in and showed them the only copy of their records and then told them that if they did a good job then at the end of the war he would give them the records and a match to burn them. Then he told about a spy the FBI found in Chicago. They tapped his phone, found he was going to meet his contact, shot them both, and threw the bodies in the ditch. Tibbits asked the FBI if they were not worried about someone finding the bodies and he was told "Two stiffs in a ditch on the South Side? No one will ask any questions."

Jump forward 60 years. If I find some Arabs in the ditch, then I'll throw some lime on them and keep my mouth shut.

Ivan,

The problem ain't spying on the Arabs. The Arabs ain't the only problem out there. The headache starts when a legal precedent for bypassing individual rights gets set where the Executive can bypass the Judiciary and is no longer accountable.

It is only a question of time before someone in the IRS gets the idea that maybe this is a resource that could be useful. Other departments start thinking the same.

You take it from there...

Michael