Global Warming

This just in, my city is handing out tickets to anyone without snow tires or chains, while our mayor asks everyone to use the mass transit system.

(Our mass transit system does not have the ability to run at a gain when running at capacity. Nobody uses this and it's a huge failure for the government.)

Jeff; I don't think anyone in the midwest is terribley concerned about global warming today. But Al Gore is going to win an Oscar for his movie. In talking about climate one must remember you can't base on one day or week or even year.

Lol, ya I know. That's why my first line is "this is not for actual discussion". Well, it can be, but the fact that it's a snow day today I realize is an invalid point. I was just having some fun.

Jeff; I don't think anyone in the midwest is terribley concerned about global warming today. But Al Gore is going to win an Oscar for his movie. In talking about climate one must remember you can't base on one day or week or even year.

And I would add that it is incredibly difficult to predict climate 1 day, 1 week 1 year or 100 years in advance...

Jeff,

In Brazil there was once a soap opera called O Bem Amado. It was about a small town, Sucupira (in the state of Bahia), where the town had built a cemetery. The mayor was corrupt and the opposition was fierce. The problem is that nobody would die in the town so the cemetery could not be inaugurated. The opposition kept the pressure on about wasting public funds, etc. The mayor tried everything including a shoot-out in the town square to get a cadaver. Not even an attempted suicide came off. The town doctor was brilliant so everybody stayed healthy. The mayor even considered faking his own death.

He brought back a mean gunman to the town hoping he would kill somebody, but the gunman had had a religious conversion and was regretful of his past evil ways. In the end, though, he does kill the mayor. So the mayor is the first burial and his dream of inaugurating the cemetery is finally realized.

It was very, very funny. Your story of the mayor handing out free transportion tickets for a funds-consuming public transportation system to get people to use it reminded me of this.

Michael

And I would add that it is incredibly difficult to predict climate 1 day, 1 week 1 year or 100 years in advance...

On the contrary, it's quite easy to predict climate 1 day, 1 week or even 1 year in advance. Now predicting the weather 1 day (let alone 1 week) in advance is a different matter altogether...