Idea Smoothies

Robert Jones

I think "chewing on ideas" will be too labor intensive for the iPod generation. Perhaps we can dumb-down objectivism with "idea smoothies," so that concepts can be truncated to the length and breadth of a bumper sticker. :laugh:

Some years ago I heard a tape of Ayn Rand's appearance on The Tonight Show. Somebody commented that Ayn Rand don't know what a sound bite was. I think her not knowing what a sound bite was speaks well of her.

Some years ago I heard a tape of Ayn Rand's appearance on The Tonight Show. Somebody commented that Ayn Rand don't know what a sound bite was. I think her not knowing what a sound bite was speaks well of her.

Heh...

A is A makes a great license plate though. I tried to get that one in my state, but another rational individualist had beaten me to it.

Currently talking to a girl who didn't know what Moonlight Sonata is, didn't recognize the names Beethoven or Bach, and was pretty much ignorant of any music that wasn't rap or rock. Needless to say, I get your point.

Currently talking to a girl who didn't know what Moonlight Sonata is, didn't recognize the names Beethoven or Bach, and was pretty much ignorant of any music that wasn't rap or rock. Needless to say, I get your point.

So what do you talk about? IPods, Bluetooth, American Idol?

...she makes me cry. :cry: seriously, like that. In my opinion, Moonlight Sonata is one of the best classical pieces out there, as well as being one of the most famous. How can she not know who it is? It perplexes and saddens me.

I hate American Idol. It's more about how bad people are than how good now. iPods and bluetooth? Why would you talk about that? I mainly tell my friends why their political views are wrong, talk about video games, or talk about girls (quite the contrast there huh?).

...she makes me cry. :cry: seriously, like that. In my opinion, Moonlight Sonata is one of the best classical pieces out there, as well as being one of the most famous. How can she not know who it is? It perplexes and saddens me.

"Moonlight Sonata"? Never heard of it. Was it a filler song on a Justin Timberlake CD? Or was that Jessica Simpson?

Jeff; During the early years a friend came to me and told me he had discovered a great new composer. He gave me the name which he pronounced like the late mayor of New York City Robert Wagner. I gently told him the correct pronouceation and that yes I had heard of him. When I was in school we had something called Music Appreciation. Is that gone?

Yes. We had something called Art Appreciation too. When I lived in Japan once a week a nice Japanese lady taught a course called Japanese Culture.

That sounds interesting. A few years ago I went to a talk/demo on Japanese flute. The guy explained that many of the tunes were developed by monks who traveled the country as spys. In order to tell if someone they met was part of their clan they would play part of a tune. If they other person could continue the tune then they would know they had found a friend.

World War 2 was not refered to. The Japanese know how it I had gone becauses we were there and the Japanese weren't in Washington. My father once told me that Japanense employee he had told that he couldn't figure out what this instrument on our battle ships was. He found later it was radar after the flotillae he commanded had been sunk. Another friend of my father's was a Japanese businessman who I now suspect had a great deal more money than we had. We actually this man and his wife for dinner. He took a cab to our compound and then had to walk from the gate to our home. I feel very embassed about this treatment today but did not at the time. I think we were one of the few families that regularly Japanese nationals in their home who were not only servants.

When I lived in Virginia, Rhode Island, and Oklahoma, my younger sister got to take classes in Virginia, Rhode Island, and Oklahoma history. I only had to take Oklahoma history, since it was a requirement for graduating from high school. Guess these states used to think you should be familiar with the local culture.

I had Music Appreciation in the 7th grade in Rhode Island. We listened to Finlandia, The Grand Canyon Suite, and An American in Paris, which curiously enough were in my parent's very limited record set in the classical music area. I cannot remember anything by Mozart or Beethoven. Charlie Brown introduced me to them. Charlie was a physics major at Brown who decided to leave physics, not the cartoon character who taught the younger generations everything they know about Beethoven!