Braciole

Ciro

Braciole (Stuffed Meat Rolls in Tomato Sauce)

Servings: 6

Ingredients

2 lb beef fillet, cut into thin slices

1 bunch parseley roughly chopped

4oz raisins

4oz pine nuts

2oz extra virgin olive oil

2 garlic cloves, crushed

4 oz dry white wine

2 lb Tomatoes in the can remember to puree'

2 tbsp Basil , fresh, chopped

Method

1. Place each slice of beef between two sheets of plastic wrap and flatten them out with a meat mallet until fairly thin.

2. Place the parsley, raisins and pine nuts in the middle of each beef slice, and roll the meat up into a roll around the filling. Secure each roll with string to hold everything in place.

3. Heat a large frying pan with the olive oil. Toss in the garlic and sear the rolls until the meat turns golden brown on all sides. Remove from the pan and keep the meat warm.

4. Pour in the wine (which will lift-up any sediment from the bottom of the pan), and boil down for around a minute before tipping in the tomato purée and replacing the meat rolls. Simmer the casserole for about an hour, until the meat is tender. Sprinkle with ripped basil leaves before serving.

Note

At my restaurant I serve braciole with side pasta.

You can cook some ziti pasta and add some of the braciole sauce on top.

Pairing wine: Lacrima di Cristo rosso.

Ciao! Ciro.

Kat, you can bypass the wine part! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Ciro, this sounds really good. I'm not familiar with this dish. Can you tell me which cut of meat to use. Does this make one piece (like a roast) or several single serving pieces. When you are cooking it for an hour in a casserole, do you pop it in the oven, and at what temperature.

Also, is there a non-alcoholic wine out there (preferably with a screw top) that you'd recommend just for cooking....or even a regular wine. I just don't see using a half cup for a recipe then tossing the rest out, but I don't want omit a key ingredient either.

Kat

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...