"Is" versus "ought" in Canada

Rodney

Today I was stopped by a radio reporter on a street corner near our apartment. I admit I had angled to be stopped, having missed other opportunities in the past to express my views.

The fellow asked, to my mild disappointment, “What would you like to achieve in 2007?”

I was not ready for that kind of question, and stammered out something about artistic fulfillment, then stopped and added “Maybe I’m not the right person to speak to,” walking away. He hastily said, “No, that’s OK,” signalling me to stay. He then asked, “What do you think will happen in 2007?” Again I was a bit disappointed, but feeling more at ease I said, “I don’t know what is going to happen, but I can tell you what I think should happen.” “Please do,” he said.

“The world should turn more and more to recognizing individual rights,” I said. “Now, here in Canada, it’s all about collectivism and collective rights.” The reporter seemed a bit surprised and intrigued. Satisfied that I had made an impression, and not wanting to push my luck, I waved myself away with “That’s really all I have to say,” and walked off.

Will they use it? “I don’t know what is going to happen, but I can tell you what I think should happen.”

Edited by ashleyparkerangel