. : _ |\ 2 / 3 [4]=*#!-> '24'

~ Given a couple other TV shows brought up here (other than LOST by moi), and how much a couple noted O'ists have already played this show up...elsewhere...I'm a bit surprised that it's not been brought up in this 'movie' forum yet. Well, since I just finished watching the DVD's of Season-5, here it is.

~ For sure, anyone interested who hasn't caught it should start with Season-1/Episode-1. Else, it's like watching the old MISSION IMPOSSIBLE TV shows...starting 15-min into it: you be 'lost' re why who's doing what (nm sometimes what the 'what' actually is.) It's NOT 'episodic' TV! Season-5 and earlier are ALL interconnected.

~ Some would call Jack Bauer a 'fascist', or if not, certainly have a prob with his sometimes 'acting outside The Law'; certainly some would have a prob with his readiness to clearly use 'torture' to extract info.

~ Any comments?

LLAP

J:D

Edited by John Dailey

Jack Bauer is the closest thing I believe in to a deity (Yes, Jack Bauer is real). Last season he snapped a guy's neck with his legs. 'Nough said. The pantheon of TV demigods goes something like this:

Jack Bauer-God of overall hardcoreness, acts of thwartage, and gunfighting.

Chuck Norris- God of really bad karate and roundhouse kicks.

Gregory House- God of logic, sarcasm, and disease.

Dr. Shepherd (A.K.A. McSteamy)- God of being a complete flake.

Meredith Grey- Goddess of being a complete idiot.

Horatio Cane- God of REALLY bad one liners.

Denny Crane- God of general hornyness, being a (funny) brainless neo-con, meat, and mad cow disease.

Allen Shore- God of being a (funny) bleeding heart liberal idiot. (No offense)

This kind of reminds me of my other forum where I have a list of people that should have a cult following. I'll probably resurrect that in HUMOR in a bit.

Okay -- I've heard enough about this Jack Bauer guy to make me think that maybe he's worth my coming out of my literal zero hours of TV a year life to watch whatever he's on.

What's the show? When is it on?

Or if it's on video, is it possible to get it on DVD? As John suggested, I'd much rather start from the beginning, and I'd rather watch anything on my own terms, when and where I wish (that would be on my laptop instead of on the TV, and without enduring commercials every seven minutes).

Judith

Jack Bauer (played by Keifer Sutherland) is an x-assassination team leader now working for CTU (Counter Terrorist Unit). The show is called 24. There are twenty four hours in each episode, and four episodes per discs. I've been renting 'em from Hollywood Video. It's not ESSENTIAL that you start at season one episode one, but I'd say it's good for a few little things. I started on season 4 on TV. It's the best season of 24 from what I've seen so far. WATCH IT, IT IS AMAZING.

• 4 weeks later...

~ Well, now that Valencia has been micro-waved, the real question now, with 4 very special suitcases floating around wherever, plus a knowledgeable 'trigger'-man at large...where's the next radiation-filled suit-cake, er,-case bake-sale going to be?

~ Disneyland? Hollywood (how ironic THAT'd be)? Vegas?...Mt. Rushmore?

~ For sure, Washington D.C. would be 'a' target, but, Jack won't let THAT place get caught (end of series thereby, ya know?) Ntl, I'm sure there'll be *1* more micro-waved mushroom s-o-m-e-w-h-e-r-e before season's end. (Wonder what the 'tourist' trade'll be like in varied speculated locales with the bets taken in Vegas?)

LLAP

They needed to give Jack motivation to get back into the swing of things. Think a mushroom cloud in LA'll do it? I do. That's only the second nuclear explosion he's seen on American soil (unless one landed in America in season three that I haven't seen). Hopefully this season will be better than last one. Don't get me wrong, last year was good, but it lacked the intensity and pace of season four.

~ "L.A?" N-a-a-a-hh; that's as problematic series-wise as D.C. --> End of CTU, ergo, end of series. To be sure, it may be made 'a' target, as I'm sure D.C. will be, but, sauteed-for-a-super-steak? Nope; no 'mushrooms' there.

~ I think that mainly it's the 'sabateurs' who'll make the plot (such as it is) interesting. WHO (and 'why') will be it (them?) Plus, Assad is an 'ally'...right now; can we assume he has no further 'secret' agenda (which may align with his new ally-status, or, may not)?

~ I'll miss Curtis...as I miss Edgar. Damn! I thought Chloe and Edgar were a really good 'match made in [...uh...] Limbo.'

LLAP

Edited by John Dailey

~ An aside re this unusual series: Everything hyped about it is all Jack this; Jack that; Jack whatever (I'm tempted, but, I won't say it.)

~ He IS 'the' center character, true. He's the James Bond of TV-dom. You KNOW he won't 'die' simply because he CAN'T (unless it's a series closing!!!!) So, how does one empathize/identify with him, 'meanwhile'? Finding that one has some ('enough') of the same-type 'values' that he has, though not necessarily all, and/or empathizing with those he's trying (clearly not ALWAYS successfully!) to save, be they ones he 'loves', or, former-enemy allies, he's committed his word to.

~ B-U-T, which really makes the non-advertised crux of the series: he's not the ONLY one who makes 'crisis-moment'...choices (my favorite word, lately)...aka: 'decisions.'

LLAP

Edited by John Dailey

~ Also, (like, nowatimes with moi, such is unexpected? :lol: ), there is an apparent PC prob with the series, as of late. --- I remember that a while ago, there was some 'news' item re an 'Arabic' or a 'Muslim' advocacy-group that made a deal with the '24' powers-that-be re such (whichever) NOT be presented in a derogatory (or some such) light, and, it was presumably agreed to...then. In light of Season-6, does anyone know about this, in itself, much less whether it still stands?

LLAP

~ I mean, an 'oriental' looking guy (jeez; don't segue a new complaint on "A-N-D just what does such 'look like'?) seemed involved with the opening scenes; allied with 'Mid-Eastern' looking guys? They sure weren't Norwegian or African 'looking'! Yet, I don't recall ethnic/religious 'names' being used. Some, on other blogs/forums accused '24' producers of being 'PC' because of the lack of 'naming' (identifying?) such groups as ones to be leery of. Hell, maybe the Tongs or Yakuza only, are involved with radical Islamic fundy's. Who knows...at this point? Still, anyone got any 'update' on this...concern?

LLAP

P.S: the 'news' item reminded me of 'Italian' advocacy groups once complaining...for too long...about 'the Mafia' being a pure fiction!

Edited by John Dailey

Don't get me wrong, last year was good, but it lacked the intensity and pace of season four.

I disagree completely; I think the last season of "24" was overall and by far the best since the first season, and I don't think it lacked anything in "intensity" or "pace". In particular, the Logan character development and plot-line was brilliant, his wife's struggle for sanity against his deceit was also very well written and brilliantly acted by Jeane Smart, and personally, I thought no other season had as much intensity.

RCR

Edited by R. Christian Ross

Ross:

~ I refuse to get into a debate about which was the 'best' season as much as which was the 'best' show; all 'reasons' thereby are really 'rationales' for one's subjective preference.

~ Still, overall the conflicts amongst the higher-up 'decision-makers' are part and parcel of the whole show, given their consequences on the ostensible mission of CTU...and Jack. And when such involve the Prez hisself, and his wife, whew! Tension-City. My only prob 'twixt S-5&6 was how Logan so quickly disappeared, and Palmer got 'shooed' in...plus a newly-discovered sister. Else, can't say any show/season was 'bad.'

LLAP

~ Well, Jack's got about the same kind (if not 'higher-level' decision-making members) of dysfunctional family that most of us humans have...with 'baggage' that just won't go away. Palmer's got a sis we never heard of, Jack's got a father who may be implicated, knowingly or not, in Valencia's nuke, and a brother who seems like Rearden's (Philip) in a chronically bad mood...and more intelligent...and vicious. Not only is 'Jack back'; so's his bro. Mewonders just 'who' REALLY IS 'behind' all these goings on this season?

~ Jack won't kill his brother; he'll just try to terrorize him...for now...for info. Now, as to 'the father', hmmm? And you just know that Palmer's sister (and her 'sig-other' in the detention camp) WILL complicate things no less than the debates about civil-liberties. Seems like 'Martial Law's coming down the pike.

LLAP

Jeff:

~ Talk about ROTFLMAO! Fun-NEE! Some spots are hilarious. Thanx; I needed that today. :laugh:

~ An aside: I promised myself I was going to wait for the DVD's 'next' season re PRISON BREAK, LOST, 24. Unfortunately I'm now too hooked on 24's latest, so, VCR time tonight. - I'm afraid to check out DEADWOOD which someone mentioned somewhere.

LLAP

Edited by John Dailey

I think Kiefer Sutherland is a real good actor. He doesn't have pure Elvis power like a Nick Cage or a Johnny Depp, but he comes through all the time. Check out his many films. He plays a good villain, too.

For that matter, I think I saw him play a good psycho. Hey, he's a Sutherland--the apple didn't fall too far from the tree.

I think there was a 2:1 sub-plot to plot ratio that episode. What the hell happened to all the terrorists? One of them has spent the last two hours driving around in circles with some bimbo trying to get seven mil by finding a guy to program the freakin trigger for Fayed while Fayed is nowhere to be seen at all. We already know Jack's brother is a bad guy, but that really isn't anything new seeing as he was the mastermind behind last year's evil plot to release gas into the air (much more effectively done by some kids in my study hall class). Jack hasn't killed anybody yet, except his friend and the guy he sucked the blood out of.

So lets review:

Jack is out of China, back in America, he saved a guy who is proposing peace, a nuke went off in Los Angelos, and Jack's brother has him and his father captive. That's as far as we are on the main plot (by the way where'd the guy Jack saved go?)

Sub-plots:

President's only two advisors keep getting into fights, the male advisor is fascist, the male advisor wants to make the country permanantly totalitarian and forces the resignation of the female advisor, the female advisor has an affair thing going on with the head of CTU L.A., Chloe's boyfriend is an asshole, Chloe's boyfriend keeps getting in fights with his boss Milo, Milo has a thing for the girl who's access to the server has been restricted (in spite of her being a republican :blink: ), the president's sister's boyfriend is in jail undercover, and Jack killed Curtis in order to save a terrorist.

Something is up any time the total number of sub-plots outweighs the total number of significant events in the actual plot.

ok....something I can chime in on w/out additional research :P .

It is best to see these from season one...if you would rather read than watch...they have a pretty good play by play on the Fox site.

As far as Jacks bro....He is way too smart and devious to be the "stupid guy that was careless concerning the nukes" Last season he had the president on puppet strings...but, he was also working with/for others...so who is pulling his strings?

and point of note: the female advisor that resigned is married to Bill Buchannon, head of CTU.

I think the "bimbo" might be undercover...she quickly recovered after he threatened to put her to the curb.

Restricted access girl???? Did Milo make a big mistake placing his trust in her???? We are due for another spy in CTU.

The pres's sis- Political platform? yeah prolly...pain in the ass, most definately. Dead before the season is over? more than likely.

No family love los in the Bauer residence thats for sure-

Oh one more thing....methinks Graem's son is really Jack's kid. Is it a coincidence that they have been estranged for exactly 9 yrs...the same age as the kid?

I do LOVE this show!

ok....something I can chime in on w/out additional research :P .

It is best to see these from season one...if you would rather read than watch...they have a pretty good play by play on the Fox site.

As far as Jacks bro....He is way too smart and devious to be the "stupid guy that was careless concerning the nukes" Last season he had the president on puppet strings...but, he was also working with/for others...so who is pulling his strings?

and point of note: the female advisor that resigned is married to Bill Buchannon, head of CTU.

I think the "bimbo" might be undercover...she quickly recovered after he threatened to put her to the curb.

Restricted access girl???? Did Milo make a big mistake placing his trust in her???? We are due for another spy in CTU.

The pres's sis- Political platform? yeah prolly...pain in the ass, most definately. Dead before the season is over? more than likely.

No family love los in the Bauer residence thats for sure-

Oh one more thing....methinks Graem's son is really Jack's kid. Is it a coincidence that they have been estranged for exactly 9 yrs...the same age as the kid?

I do LOVE this show!

We already pretty much figured out that there is more to it than just messing up with decommissioning the nukes after he held a gun to Jack's head. Unfortunately, as with the rest of the episodes, there were no actual shots fired.

Bimbo undercover? Possible, but I doubt it. We have yet to have a leak in the enemy's squad while we have had plenty in CTU.

Restricted access girl? She's a Republican she can't be a terrorist :rolleyes:.

President's sister dead before the season is over? Good, I already know my civil rights, I don't need her lectures.

Jack's kid? Ya, I'd say that's pretty obvious from the way he looked at the kid.

Jeff:

~ Oh-h-h, give it a break on this 'civil rights' lecture stuff. There really is a place for it; adds to the basic conflict by adding in 'Constitution'-conflicts re unofficial martial-law (which seems to be going on there, ya know?) Gotta watch out for 'unofficial' stuff disguising itself. Remember: there was no Korean War; it was a 'Police Action.' There was not Vietnam War; it was a 'Conflict.' Officially!

~ There's always been this background set of conflicts/decision/choices in the political sphere from Season 1. They're just starting to really compete with Jack's usual personal (job and relations) foreground crises. This sister is merely the usual-citizen's view of how things 'seem' to be working, given the decisions by the higher ups. She, and her arguments, have their place...as they wouldn't have in NAZI Germany. There, ya wouldn't have heard of her, or about what she argues. I'd rather hear her yelling while I try to yell louder "SHUT UP; ENOUGH!"...which, if she's worth anything...she'd ignore.

LLAP

Edited by John Dailey