i took a big risk

atlashead

people engaged me in a game of chicken & i had a few paths.  The path I took was 100% morality and it's either going to be the courage to face a lifetime or getting impaled, this time.  The final event-the climax occurs when a 8-string, fretless guitar arrives in the mail.  I must not spend my money much before it comes.  It's either going to save my physics, arch, & music (& peripherally biology, visual art, writing) (I only have money for workstuff left (paper)) or I will have died on the barricades

the choice is already done.  i ordered the guitar.  i have a little money to breathe while i wait, but the jury is now in deliberation

5 hours ago, atlashead said:

i ordered the guitar.

Good for you. I remember trying to learn to play a guitar for maybe a half an hour, and my fingers demanded I get some calusses Sp? before I tried again. As Hoyt Axton sang, "Work your fingers to the bone and what do you get? Bloody fingers."   

A,

Cool.

Serious advice.

Don't worry about what other people think. Really. I know it comes unbidden, but just push it away. You've got work to do.

And never forget about practicing.

For your kind of brain, I believe it will be a great experience to go from the absolute suck stage of the beginner to gradual mastery.

The real payoff will be learning your body's rhythm in this, not just your wish to have it now.

You will have to gain mastery over weeks of sucking and months of mediocrity and years of slowly getting it right, not when the urge strikes. A few more hours here and there doesn't make it go faster. You need a certain amount of time every day. With consistency. Your body and brain need time to create the new neural pathways, myelinate them and integrate and automate a hell of a lot. But you get there.

And before you know it, a feeling you get at a moment--seemingly without thought-- can turn into beauty from all that automation under the hood. The thought goes into creating the automation and skills and techniques and choices that later run on autopilot. Not into the time of performance. In other words, thought is there when you finally become a master and play. It feels like feeling, though. :) 

If you learn that, you will never die on the barricades. And you will learn a different kind of self-mastery that reality provides us humans.

Go for it. I'm rooting for you.

:) 

Michael