Distressed Vet and Trooper

Distressed Vet and Trooper

This stuff gets to me every time.

Body Cam Footage: Heartbreaking Moment Trooper Consoles Suicidal Vet on Side of Road, 'I'm Here With You'

veteran-suicide.jpg
WWW.WESTERNJOURNAL.COM

A Connecticut state trooper became a distressed veteran's guardian angel when he encountered the man on an interstate highway.

A Connecticut state trooper assumed the role of a distressed veteran’s guardian angel when he met the troubled man off of an interstate highway.

Trooper Kyle Kaelberer was patrolling the I-84 highway earlier this month when he saw a truck activate its hazard lights near an off-ramp, according to CT Insider.

Kaelberer encountered a driver who was severely distressed and crying when he made contact.

“Help me… I’m on the phone with the VA hotline for suicide,” the driver said.

The officer kept his cool in what could’ve been a dangerous situation — for the driver, of his own devices.

. . .

The trooper asked the distressed veteran if he’d deployed during his military career. The driver had.

“Hey, dude, it’s a tough time for everyone in your position. Relax, though. Hey, I am here with you, OK?”

The trooper embraced the distressed man, having called an ambulance for him earlier, assuring the man it would be paid for by the state of Connecticut.

The encounter in question occurred on the night of Sept. 11, a date of no small significance to all Americans, but especially American veterans who’ve served since 9/11.

Suicide rates remain an acute crisis for active duty military personnel, reservists, and veterans who have left the service...

The video is in the article, but here's the video on Facebook. You may have to turn on the sound in the video player over there, though.

302283528_453384896855800_62134511882858
WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

223K views, 2.5K likes, 2K loves, 874 comments, 3.9K shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Connecticut State Police: A routine traffic stop turned into a moving moment for a Veteran and a CT State...

That trooper is a stellar good guy to me. In my world, good guys produce, but they also respond to distress signals and fix things. Nothing wrong with helping a bro out when he's losing it...

Michael

• Like 1