"The Golden Age" - Sci-Fi far future space opera book trilogy by John C. Wright

Hi All:

I'm posting here because there does not seem to be a spot for general "Book Recommendations" or "Book Reviews" or "Literature"... (and books don't fit in "Movies and Ent." or "Music")

I HIGHLY recommend the trilogy of books by John C. Wright about the far future, referred to as the Golden Age trilogy or The Golden Oecumene:

The Golden Age

The Phoenix Exultant

The Golden Transcendence

They really read as a single work, but was split up for publishing/sales.

The work is as close to a Masterpiece as Sci-Fi gets and fits very nicely with the O'ist sense of life IMHO.  I have read it four times in the last fifteen years.  It gets better every time.

If any of you enjoy Sci-Fi, or far future space opera type literature, with a heavy does of O'ist sentiments, I highly recommend this work, in fact I will say your life would be poorer for not having read it. 

I STRONGLY suggest you AVOID SPOILERS, and dive in with an open and very fresh mind (his vision can tax the neurons).

Most sincerely, 

SL

PS:  Please feel free to let me know what you think of the books if you have the chance to read them!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, tmj said:

I've read Count to a Trillion, and have always been meaning to get to that trilogy. 

Last big batch of sci-fi I got into was Neal Stephenson, love his works.

That other series is quite different... very voluminous, and I can't bring myself to recommend it highly, although it might be worth it to some.

I'm going to take a look at this.

I started, but did a long post on notetaking that took several hours. But I still saw enough about Wright to become interested.

There was a huge kerfuffle about Wright (who I presume is a libertarian-leaning conservative or somewhat near to that) and people who think like he does and the Hugo awards.

I get it that the left hated the right when it did its own activism, but why "Sad Puppies"?

I'll write more about all this later when I learn more. Science Fiction is not my thing, but I think I am going to like this dude...

Michael

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I'm going to take a look at this.

I started, but did a long post on notetaking that took several hours. But I still saw enough about Wright to become interested.

There was a huge kerfuffle about Wright (who I presume is a libertarian-leaning conservative or somewhat near to that) and people who think like he does and the Hugo awards.

I get it that the left hated the right when it did its own activism, but why "Sad Puppies"?

I'll write more about all this later when I learn more. Science Fiction is not my thing, but I think I am going to like this dude...

Michael

Michael:

I’m so glad you are interested.  I have to say Sci Fi is usually is blended too much with fantasy or mysticism or a heavy dose of implausibility, but this one is plausible albeit Far future stuff… please give it a chance!!  

Your head will spin with wonder… and sometimes sheer delight!

SL

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

In the spirit of the benevolence of this holiday season

I have a gift for you all, it is the form of this recommendation:

READ THE GOLDEN AGE TRILOGY BY JOHN C. WRIGHT

YOU WILL COME TO LOVE,

REMEMBER, AND CHERISH IT

AS ONE OF THE BEST WORKS OF FICTION

YOU HAVE EVER READ.

For me it is easily in the top 5.

Do with this gift as you will... but I hope you accept and act on it!

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

S,

I wish they had an ebook or audio version.

The trilogy is hard to come by. Or expensive. Or both.

Michael

Ok so it's a little bit of a gamble.

But I think not... not for you.  

Get a copy of the first book, any copy... an old ratty rag of a copy... as long as all the words are there.

Read it and if it was not worth it by all means give up on the trilogy...

I suspect you will find there is MUCH to love about it (and it is not *easy* reading) that you will find almost any price or wait for the subsequent books (or for the trilogy of you find it somewhere) well spent.

:)

I would be so excited to hear your opinion.

• 9 months later...

Hello:

@Michael Stuart Kelly

If there were an easy way I would send this to you for Christmas from eBay so instead (not sure how to share a link that would actually work) here is the info:

John C. Wright THE GOLDEN AGE TRILOGY 1st SFBC Ed. 2004 The Golden Oecumene

sold by darkstarbooks (100% positive) 

ships from Yellow Springs, Ohio, United States $35 or best offer 

eBay item number:305097285005 18Kitems sold joined Feb 1998

• Like 1

S,

While we figure out the Golden Age Trilogy, here is something you may enjoy--ancap scifi from decades and decades ago.

"And Then There Were None" by Eric Frank Russell (1951).

James Corbett has quite a lot of information about this, including links to text, audiobook, his own discussion, etc.

WWW.CORBETTREPORT.COM

https://www.corbettreport.com/mp3/flnwo41-lq.mp3"Take us to your leader!" is the science fiction cliche...but what if there's no leader to be taken to, and no one to do the leading? In this edition of the Film, Literature and the New World Order series, James examines the philosophy of Eric Frank Russell's 1951 story "...And Then There Were...

Here's the video on Bitchute:

WWW.BITCHUTE.COM

SHOW NOTES: https://www.corbettreport.com/?p=21893 “Take us to your leader!” is the science fiction cliche…but what if there’s no leader to be taken to, and no one to do the leading? In this edition of the Film, Literature and the New World Order s…

You will have to download the audiobook mp3 (from here) since, to my knowledge, it is not online for being played. The download is online, just not the mp3 with an audio player.

Here is the text: . . . And Then There Were None

Eric Frank Russell later expanded this story into a novel called The Explosion, but Corbett deals with the short story only.

The premise of the story is that an envoy from the central empire was visiting a planet on the outskirts just to make sure it was well under the Empire's wing, but nobody would cooperate, not even to have a meeting. And not because they resisted. They had no notion of government nor did anyone wish to acquire one. They lived by adding obligations to others and paying off the obligations, all through pacifist means. And they dealt with a freeloader by everyone eventually refusing to do business with the person. Naturally, the Empire people started defecting...

It's well done.

Michael

• Like 1