RIP George Smith

Not 100%, but just about.

I got this off of a Facebook post by David Friedman here. David wrote:

This obituary is for a George Smith in Bloomington of about the right age:

Here is the Obituary:

George Smith

Obituary

George Smith

Bloomington, IL - George Smith, 73, of Bloomington, passed away on Friday, April 8, 2022, at the Bloomington Rehabilitation and Health Care Center. Quiram-Peasley Funeral Home in Atlanta is in charge of arrangements.

Posted online on April 14, 2022

Published in The State Journal-Register, Lincoln Courier

If this is him (and knowing about his stroke, it sounds like it), George passed away early last month and nobody knew.

I'm going to miss him. I know a lot of people are.

Michael

I saw those from D Friedman too. I hope it's not GHS, but fear it is. I've not been able to find any other confirming or refuting evidence online.

I am sorry to hear this. George's  book Atheism: The Case Against God is one of the best arguments for atheism out there. He also wrote some  good articles about what was right and wrong with Objectivism.

At the same time, I will never understand why he maintained a feud with Wendy McElroy. Wendy has long been a friend, so I do want to take her side.

George also made some very arguments and posts on this board. He was a good contributor to this board.

Does anyone know what George thought about the last two years? I can't find any writings from him on the situation.

I did a search on the funeral home's site and found nothing there. I naturally wonder who was around George. This is a very sad story if that is the case. Were his friends around? What about family? Who was with George?

This is though because a name like George Smith is common as dirt.

4 hours ago, algernonsidney said:

Does anyone know what George thought about the last two years? I can't find any writings from him on the situation.

I looked but could not find anything recent that he wrote or said. Nor could I find an obit. 

They will do a tribute to libertarians who have died at LP National next week. This will be anyone since the last LP National. I submitted some good libertarians who may not have been involved much with the LP, like Walter Williams. I am wondering if I will submit George.