If the child in Howard Roark bought the jury

atlashead

If the child in Howard Roark bought the jury? A few years ago I wrote, “There was a gray area discussed on Rush Limbaugh’s Show today. They debated whether, if in doubt, is it better to ask permission of government, or is it better to do as you please? And later you can apologize or accept the consequences. While tuned in, one caller mentioned a situation where “someone he knew” (though it might have been the caller) was hired to tear down several buildings on one block. Someone protested saying one of the buildings was once used for business by a famous historical figure who was not very famous outside the State. The building was not listed as a landmark, so the guy just tore it down, and then believably, though in actuality facetiously said, “Gee. I’m sorry.”

The J.R. Ewings of the world “want to force their visions of proper outcomes upon others, using political power,” or their own force. As J.R. might say, “Sorry, darlin’. If you don’t like the deal, go screw yourself. What are you going to do about it? This is MY range.” Peter 

Here is the Wikipedia entry for Nat Taggart (go here and scroll down).

My bold.

Nathaniel "Nat" Taggart was the founder of Taggart Transcontinental. He built his railroad without any government handouts, and ran the business for no other reason than to turn a profit. He began as a penniless adventurer and ended up as one of the wealthiest men in the country. He never earned money by force or fraud (except for bribing government officials and throwing an opponent down a flight of stairs), and never apologized for becoming wealthy and successful. He was one of the most hated men of his time. Dagny is often inspired by looking at a statue of Nat Taggart at the railroad headquarters, and draws a dollar sign on its base as a signal to Francisco when she is ready to join Galt's strike. It is suspected that he is modeled after James Jerome Hill, builder of the Great Northern Railroad.

A direct quote from Atlas Shrugged:

Many stories were whispered about him. It was said that in the wilderness of the Middle West, he murdered a state legislator who attempted to revoke a charter granted to him, to revoke it when his rail was laid halfway across the state; some legislators had planned to make a fortune on Taggart stock—by selling it short. Nat Taggart was indicted for the murder, but the charge could never be proved. He had no trouble with legislators from then on.

In the book, Taggart was an adult both inside and out when he did this stuff, though.

:)

Michael