Freedom Party of Canada (and Ontario)

sujane

Curious - has any of the Objectivists here checked out the Freedom Party in Canada? What's your take? Are they that much different from Libertarians? I've checked out their website and they certainly seem to be on the right track with respect to economics, limited government, individual freedom etc., but does anyone know the background on this group? Are they Objectivists?

Okay, I think I answered my own questions. I emailed the leader of the Party and he responded. YES, this Party is entirely based on Objectivism right down to the philosphy, unlike the Libertarians. I like what I hear. Any caveats from anyone?

Okay, I think I answered my own questions. I emailed the leader of the Party and he responded. YES, this Party is entirely based on Objectivism right down to the philosphy, unlike the Libertarians. I like what I hear. Any caveats from anyone?

Sujane,

Here is more information about the Freedon Party and contacts. As you'll see from the link, Wayne Simmons is an officer of the party and an Objectivist. I can't speak for the other contacts listed on the page.

http://www.freedomparty.on.ca/officials/officials.htm

About Mr. Wayne Simmons (Don Valley East)

"Philosophical objectivist, a follower of Ayn Rand. Has also quoted F.A. Hayek on occasion. Simmons has written several articles summarizing his beliefs on philosophy-oriented newsgroups. Opposes government involvement in matters such as health provision, rent control, social welfare, drug prohibition and abortion provision. An atheist, opposes the idea of "Christian libertarianism". Was elected to the provincial council of the Freedom Party on February 13, 2005, having previously served as a provincial councillor. First ran for the Freedom Party in the 1999 provincial election in Don Valley East and received 53 votes, finishing ninth in a field of ten candidates. The winner was David Caplan of the Ontario Liberal Party. Improved his total to 119 votes in the 2003 election, though this was still the lowest vote total of any Freedom Party candidate in the province. Finished sixth in a field of six candidates. Caplan again won the riding."

Guest Damage Inc.

Sujane,

Thank you for your interest in the party.

Did Paul McKeever mention Freedom Party International? FPI, operates as a separate organization.

This is where the Objectivist defense for the Freedom Party can be found.

http://www.freedomparty.org/

Cheers!

Thanks again for your interest.

Wayne Simmons

The idea of an Objectivist political party seems very appealing, but the problem (as with Libertarians) is electability. The platform is good and in line with my own philosophy, but in a close election, does one vote their principles or for the lesser of two evils that actually has a real chance of winning? I consider myself rather a-political. There are ideas in the Democratic, Republican and Libertarian camps that I am strongly opposed to and I feel that neither of the mainstream parties speak for me.

It may be too soon for an Objectivist political party, and it would be better for Objectivists to be slated by one of the mainstream parties and actually have a real chance at being elected into office. Then we can rally around a candidate with the funding and mainstream support who can actually be elected into office. The Freedom Party and other such organizations would be good as a political action committee though. Promote the ideas and back candidates who support them, regardless of party affiliation. Once the ideas are somewhat in the mainstream, electability will not be such an issue. The Libertarians are just getting to the point of being electable.

Kat

Kat; Allow me to add a little to my earlier comments. In the English speaking countries (UK,US and Canada) the person with the most votes wins. There is no proportional voting. There is in other countries. This is the reason the Free Democratics and the Greens have seats in the German Legislature.

Miss Rand recognized this problem and thought that if Objectivism became popular enough to be a major party one of the exsisting parties would adopt the philosphy. I must also add that third parties from my experience tend to attract people who to put it kindly don't have both oars in the water. Some of them don't know there on the water.

Here is what Ayn Rand said about an Objectivist politician. The following quote is from Ayn Rand Answers: The Best of Her Q&A, edited by Robert Mayhew, 2005, New American Library, p. 52. The Q&A is from Lecture 12 of “Philosophy of Objectivism” by Leonard Peikoff given in 1976.

Q: Is it not time for an Objectivist politician?

AR: It certainly is not. The whom would he speak? One cannot run an educational campaign and a political campaign simultaneously. In fifty years, it might be time for an Objectivist politician; but by the time it’s possible, he practically wouldn’t be necessary. The country’s public opinion would continue in the direction of freedom and reason. Therefore, Objectivists should go to the classroom, and correct the situation there.

I knew about Rand’s aversion to direct involvement in politics, but I assumed this had been because of her adverse experiences in the Wendell Wilkie campaign for President. Finally I read something a couple of months ago that made sense and all the missing pieces fell in place in my mind. There is a formal reason why Objectivists and politics (including libertarians and conservatives) haven’t been mixing. The quote is from The Ideas of Ayn Rand by Ronald E. Merrill, 1991, Open Court, pp. 131-132. It is about a decision Rand made right after Goldwater lost the election to Nixon. Rand had formally backed Goldwater and had encouraged political activism.

The December, 1964 issue of the Objectivist Newsletter carried an article which had crucial influence on the course of the Objectivist movement—and, perhaps, on the course of American politics. Entitled “Its Earlier Than You Think,” this essay reaffirmed Rand’s analysis of Goldwater campaign. She ascribed his defeat to the lack of any rational intellectual basis for conservative ideas. Rand went on to assert that the debacle had at least cleared away the old-guard conservatives, leaving the way clear for consistent supporters of capitalism to fight more effectively. But Rand warned that it was too early for direct political action. Instead, she urged her supporters to work in the intellectual sphere: “The battle has to be fought—and won—in colleges and universities, before it can be carried to the voting booths.”

This article began a period in which the Objectivist movement became, quite explicitly and self-consciously, hostile to the very idea of political action. Those who were unwilling to renounce activism were read out of the movement. There was an indirect effect on the conservative movement also. The youth wing of conservatism had been heavily penetrated by Objectivist college students, resulting in a gradually escalating conflict with the “trads.” The sudden withdrawal of Rand’s followers settled this conflict decisively. Although libertarian elements hung on in organizations such as Young Americans for Freedom for several years, without the impetus of Objectivism behind them they could make no progress and gradually diffused out. A threat to the traditional right’s control of the conservative movement was thereby averted.

I looked at the links for Freedom Party International and Freedom Party of Ontario and was unable to discover if Objectivism was formally embedded in it at an international level, or if this was just a local agenda for Ontario (which is permitted by the affiliation rules I read). I admit I only skimmed the websites so I might have missed it.

At any rate, I applaud the effort to put something like this into practice and I wish the organizers and candidates all my best wishes for success.

Michael

Michael; I hope that Objectivist Living readers will look at It's Earlier Than You Think. It is sadly not reprinted in any of the collections. I would also urge readers to look at my earlier posts. Minor partys are minor in part because of the people they attract. If you are interested in politics check out the work Cato Institute does.

Edited by Chris Grieb