A Hollywood Ending..

This is really hard to grasp  but Debbie Reynolds, the mother of Carrie Fisher  had a stroke this morning and died later on.  Debbie was 84.

No joke. For real.  

Holy shit!  A Hollywood Ending. 

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/18/2022 at 11:35 PM, Peter said:

"Wednesday", a Tim Burton TV show. Quite good if you like macabre, lighthearted drama. We have watched three episodes in one night. Tomorrow . . .   

We watched the last show of the season, and "Wednesday" is coming back for another run. Whew. The last episode tonight was way too Tim Burton and too violent. 

• 1 month later...

We were looking for something to watch “off the beaten path” tonight and found an excellent movie on Prime. I was a bit doubtful but after a minute or two, I was enthralled by it. Renee Zellweger is excellent. You can see what it was like in 1902 London for a woman author, trying to get a book published. The movie was “Miss Potter.”

Miss Potter (2006) Stars: Renée Zellweger, Ewan McGregor, Emily Watson

Director: Chris Noonan Writer: Richard Maltby Jr. Genre: Biography, Drama, Romance

The story of Beatrix Potter, the author of the beloved and best-selling children's book, "The Tale of Peter Rabbit", and her struggle for love, happiness, and success.

• Thanks 1

Peter,

I never did read Peter Rabbit. It's on my to-do list.

I might take your suggestion and see the movie about the author first, though.

As to Renée Zellweger, I think she is a brilliant actress, but I'm not always fond of what she acts in. And I'm not a big romcom fan, although she does those well and I can watch them in a pinch.

But sometimes, she does pure shit. For example, I have tried several times to finish the miniseries, What/If, on Netflix, but I can't keep my eyes open. It's kind of like a cross between Tony Robbins, an inverted Indecent Proposal, and a soap opera for woke people. :) To be specific, Renée Zellweger is a Tony Robbins figure, but also a cutthroat rich person who opens the doors of business to a young lady in exchange for sleeping with her husband, and there are plenty of woke-ass relationship melodramas in the rest of the cast and story.

yawn...

Renée Zellweger is brilliant in her portrayal of a super-boring asshole who, in addition to lots of monkey-business, tries to be a self-help guru. She pulls it off well. Surprisingly well and in a portrayal all her own. Nobody else could have done it the way she did. It's just I'm not interested in the character or the plot. Instead of a story about good versus evil, it's more like the neighborhood gossip in San Francisco versus Dr. Phil.

Some people like that shit, I guess... :) 

Anyway, I would love to see her in a movie I cared about. Miss Potter sounds like a good choice.

Michael