Could he even run?

BaalChatzaf

Let us assume a hypothetical candidate  who is intelligent, reasonable, decent, understands the nature of the Constitution, who will uphold and defend the Constitution as a matter of honor.  In addition our hypothetical candidate understands economics, trade, production,  technology and has a grasp of history.  Sounds great,  yes??  Now assume our hypothetical  candidate stutters or stammers and the condition cannot be corrected because it is due to a wired in neurological defect.

Question:  Can this wonderful candidate even be nominated?  And if  so,  does he stand a chance?

53 minutes ago, BaalChatzaf said:

Let us assume a hypothetical candidate  who is intelligent, reasonable, decent, understands the nature of the Constitution, who will uphold and defend the Constitution as a matter of honor.  In addition our hypothetical candidate understands economics, trade, production,  technology and has a grasp of history.  Sounds great,  yes??  Now assume our hypothetical  candidate stutters or stammers and the condition cannot be corrected because it is due to a wired in neurological defect.

Question:  Can this wonderful candidate even be nominated?  And if  so,  does he stand a chance?

Ba'al,

I'm assuming you mean nominated by some major party for POTUS, and I think this hypothetical candidate would not be able to be nominated from obscurity.  His condition makes gaining social traction difficult, so I think this person would have to work through the ranks, and have a difficult time doing it.  The context for the ranks could be politics, the military, government, some large business, entrepreneurship, etc.

Or, if this hypothetical person wasn't from obscurity rather born into a family that is near the ranks (or is in the ranks), The King's Speech comes to mind so it might be possible.

Anyway, those are my immediate thoughts on it. 

2 hours ago, KorbenDallas said:

Ba'al,

I'm assuming you mean nominated by some major party for POTUS, and I think this hypothetical candidate would not be able to be nominated from obscurity.  His condition makes gaining social traction difficult, so I think this person would have to work through the ranks, and have a difficult time doing it.  The context for the ranks could be politics, the military, government, some large business, entrepreneurship, etc.

Or, if this hypothetical person wasn't from obscurity rather born into a family that is near the ranks (or is in the ranks), The King's Speech comes to mind so it might be possible.

Anyway, those are my immediate thoughts on it. 

Thoughtful reply.  Of course King George VI  wasn't elected, but he still had to sound like a King.  And Kings don't stammer.