Things that make me angry on Monday part 2: #ForgetTheFrock

It might be apparent by now that I am not a religious person. Nor am I a fashion person. I live for my big comfortable T-shirts. So it may seem out of character to so ardently defend the practice of wearing frilly frocks to church for Easter Sunday.

However, the #ForgetTheFrock movement is such a classic example of altruistic immorality it cannot be ignored. This is the concept: To raise awareness of global poverty the productive and free are being encouraged to sacrifice a new Easter dress and wear a T-shirt instead emblazoned with a hashtag. This is because there should not be “frivolity” in the developed world when oppressive third-world regimes deprive their serfs of clothing. This is an explicit act of condoning and showing solidarity with the totalitarian states that have driven their people into poverty.

What is the next step beyond #ForgetTheFrock? #ForgetTheRoof? Should we be sleeping outdoors next Easter in deference to those who have been denied housing? How about #ForgetTheBeef? Maybe we should all go hungry because the Communists of North Korea starve.

The act of dressing to please yourself whether in the big comfortable T-shirts I prefer or the frilly brightly colored frocks preferred by others is an act of pride and self-esteem. It is an expression of freedom, production and morality and it should be protected as fiercely as any other expression of the same.

What’s more these kinds of campaigns do absolutely nothing to address the root cause of global poverty: Repression of freedom, human rights and capitalism in all of their forms. If we truly wanted to free the world from oppression we would all be wearing shirts with the hashtag #FuckTheCollective. The promotion of global capitalism can feed and clothe the world and it is the reason the productive West deserves to wear colorful frocks and dine on chocolate eggs this Easter.

So come next Easter you should proudly wear your nice new frock whether you are a church goer or not. You should also enjoy your roast (or ham or tofurky) dinner and the company of your loved ones while you give thanks for living in a country where “frivolous” new clothing can be made, purchased, worn and enjoyed. Who knows? Maybe you will even be an example to the poor soul in some impoverished statist country who risks his or her life to view The Internet and comes across your hashtag. Now THAT would actually be performing a public service!

Assuming you're talking about the US, we don't actually live in a country where new clothing is made.  It could be, but it usually isn't.  Purchasing, wearing, and enjoying any garment made in a developing country is actually the better way to support those workers, I would think. 

#RockTheFrock