More Fun With Magnetism

Amazing. It looks like a perpetual motion machine. My guess is the magnets would gradually lose their attraction but I don't know how long it would take. Of course if it were an electromagnet and was kept plugged in, it would be a simple machine in evidence everywhere for about a hundred years now.

It reminds me of space travel. We need gravity or simulated gravity for long term survival and simulated designs are always spinning hoops. Gradually the hoop will slow down so jets would use their thrust to keep it spinning.

From Wikipedia:
In classical mechanics, centrifugal force is an outward force associated with curved motion, that is, rotation about some (possibly not stationary) center. Centrifugal force is one of several so-called pseudo-forces (also known as inertial forces), so named because, unlike fundamental forces, they do not originate in interactions with other bodies situated in the environment of the particle upon which they act. Instead, centrifugal force originates in the curved motion of the frame of reference within which observations are made.

• 1 month later...