Adam and Eve

Newberry

adamevestuE_large.jpg?169367086735044343

Adam and Eve, diptych, oil on Belgium linen, 2 canvas each 72 x 46 inches

Touching base with Adam and Eve has the appeal of witnessing the birth of an amazing species. They are reminders that no matter how complex the future becomes at our core is our humanity.

I kept the tones simple with a spot of color on her cheeks and on his ear and neck. And I focused on complementing her curves with his stance.

Taken as a whole this diptych is the biggest work I have done, 72 x 96 inches. I would like to have them find a place in a spacious home or in a contemplative space in a museum.

Very nice. This has little to do with your paintings but many years ago, before I was married I bought a print much like Eve. I think I bought it through the old Laissez Faire book site. The nude model was gazing at the New York skyline. I hung it in a back room of our new house but my wife did not like it and thought it would be nicer to NOT have to explain it to our guests or our children. So we compromised and it went on the garage wall but the same disagreement arose. Now it is in the attic. It is odd that we no longer accept nude paintings or sculpture like past generations with Rodin or Michaelangelo, but as long as the model is wearing a bikini or a sarong or any skimpy clothing like Tahitian women, then that is OK.

Peter

Very nice. This has little to do with your paintings but many years ago, before I was married I bought a print much like Eve. I think I bought it through the old Laissez Faire book site. The nude model was gazing at the New York skyline. I hung it in a back room of our new house but my wife did not like it and thought it would be nicer to NOT have to explain it to our guests or our children. So we compromised and it went on the garage wall but the same disagreement arose. Now it is in the attic. It is odd that we no longer accept nude paintings or sculpture like past generations with Rodin or Michaelangelo, but as long as the model is wearing a bikini or a sarong or any skimpy clothing like Tahitian women, then that is OK.

Peter

Screw "nicer."

--Brant

why explain anything to guests?

children learn things so much better on the Internet--no?

your wife not liking it is a good reason to take it down, however

Beautiful work!

One thing that I really like about the paintings is that they deviate significantly from Rand's pretend-objective-visual-arts-expertise rules, rants, tantrums, denunciations and psyhologizings. They're "foggy" and "painterly" and employ "muddy colors" rather than "bright, pure" ones. They're "blurry" and don't have "sharp outlines" or "visual clarity."

I think that our Newbsie might be finally growing up and making some moves toward becoming himself instead of Ayn's little helper!

J

Beautiful work!

One thing that I really like about the paintings is that they deviate significantly from Rand's pretend-objective-visual-arts-expertise rules, rants, tantrums, denunciations and psyhologizings. They're "foggy" and "painterly" and employ "muddy colors" rather than "bright, pure" ones. They're "blurry" and don't have "sharp outlines" or "visual clarity."

I think that our Newbsie might be finally growing up and making some moves toward becoming himself instead of Ayn's little helper!

J

Thanks for the mixed compliment. But one doesn't make all the art I have made being somebody else.

Beautiful work!

J

Thanks for the mixed compliment. But one doesn't make all the art I have made being somebody else.

No, I think that being Ayn's little helper is something that has sustained a lot of people throughout their long careers, including in the arts and in their posing as "original" and "brilliant" philosophers while basically just parroting Rand.

J

I know enough to realize that an artist doesn't go to Michaels' at 9 buy supplies work through lunch and hang their diptych after dinner. But it doesn't stop me from feeling that way when looking at a painting and not 'knowing' the specific techniques and skills and how they are employed by the artist. I know that producing a work of art takes 'work' , but being naive and uneducated in the details of the skills involved , I do see a painting and think the artist just sat down(or stood by the easel ) grabbed a brush and "voila".

That being said I can't help but focus on the way the figures are situated or standing. The way they standing or rather the' feel' of the way they are occupying the space. As if standing on a solid floor and the space in front of them(the foreground?) being an expanse very similar to the space their feet are 'on' and yet distinguished or different just enough to feel like a separate plane on a different angle. That doesn't just happen, I'm sure , how much of the work of the composition is that ? I like it better, or it strikes me more in "Eve" (perhaps just the lighting/coloring of the computer monitor/picture of a picture).

I know enough to realize that an artist doesn't go to Michaels' at 9 buy supplies work through lunch and hang their diptych after dinner. But it doesn't stop me from feeling that way when looking at a painting and not 'knowing' the specific techniques and skills and how they are employed by the artist. I know that producing a work of art takes 'work' , but being naive and uneducated in the details of the skills involved , I do see a painting and think the artist just sat down(or stood by the easel ) grabbed a brush and "voila".

That being said I can't help but focus on the way the figures are situated or standing. The way they standing or rather the' feel' of the way they are occupying the space. As if standing on a solid floor and the space in front of them(the foreground?) being an expanse very similar to the space their feet are 'on' and yet distinguished or different just enough to feel like a separate plane on a different angle. That doesn't just happen, I'm sure , how much of the work of the composition is that ? I like it better, or it strikes me more in "Eve" (perhaps just the lighting/coloring of the computer monitor/picture of a picture).

It was nice to hear your thoughts and observations.