911 Now In Too Many Folk's Rear View Mirror...

Selene

We had a United States Senate commit an act yesterday that gives aid and comfort to the enemy..

Yes Mitch "Marble Mouth" McConnell, a.k.a., Quisling decided against the best interests of this country and will permit the release of over 100+ billion dollars in assets to the Islamo-fascists sitting in Tehran.

Posted on September 11, 2015 by Scott Johnson in Books, History, Terrorism

A day to be proud…

I first wrote about Rick Rescorla in 2003 after finishing James Stewart’s Heart of a Soldier, the book based on Stewart’s New Yorker article “The real heroes are dead.” (“The real heroes are dead” is what Rescorla would say in response to recognition of his heroism on the battlefield in Vietnam.) It’s a good book that touches on profound themes in a thought-provoking way: life and death, love and friendship, heroism and sacrifice, destiny and fate, man’s search for meaning, all fall within the book’s compass.

rickrescorla.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=239%2C1

In April 2001, thanks to Hill’s efforts, Rescorla was inducted into the Army’s Officer Candidate School Hall of Fame for his service in Vietnam. The famous photo at the left (taken by UPI reporter Joe Galloway) depicts Rescorla in action in the Ia Drang Valley It is moving to read of the officers who sought Rescorla out to shake his hand and have him autograph their copies of We Were Soldiers Once…and Young, in which Rescorla plays a key role.

September 11th, 2001 was Rescoria's last day on Earth.

Rescorla died a hero’s death saving his charges at Morgan Stanley in the south tower of the World Trade Center on 9/11. Rescorla was head of security for the company; he directed the evacuation in which he had long drilled the company’s WTC employees. He knew that a terrorist attack on the WTC was coming and he knew what had happened as soon as the building was hit. His message was one of resolve. Using a bullhorn, he shepherded his charges into the tower’s one usable fire escape and exhorted them that it was “a day to be proud to be an American.”

Thank you Sir!

salute-usa-flag.gif

wtc-eagle.gif

I will never get this picture out of my mind...

jumper5.jpg

A...

2001--2015 is a typo.

When those two souls hit the ground, they were doing 220 MPH.

--Brant

I once jumped out of a helicopter 1000 - 1200 feet in the air--my stomach felt it was in my throat and I just fell and fell for 5 - 6 seconds before my chute came open and not with the usual airplane slipstream caused "pop" (my last jump before no more jump Vietnam, but that's because we used saner ways to get into combat)

2001--2015 is a typo.

Thank you Brant. It is corrected.

Adam, your initial post should have landed this thread in Politics, not Epistemology. By a little stretch it could be placed in Psychology, but not here, and its square place is Politics. I know I've mentioned this to you before, but again, please do not put politics in our epistemology and metaphysics sectors. It is hegemony and cheapens the site.

It belongs in the Living Room--not even Politics. It is clutter for the room Adam put it in. But Stephen, all your own threads should start in your own corner since those will be substantive. That's because they will already reflect a lot of work and refinement. That's where you best control the clutter. You're the main epistemology-man here. My interest in this area is mostly "reason and reality" and maybe a review of a book by Henry Hazlitt on thinking, that kind of thing. (He also wrote a novel off an interesting idea, Time Will Run Back.)

You once deleted a whole thread, which I don't agree with. I wish you had merely capped it with an explanation. Capping a thread, however, is not something I know you can do. (When MSK does it it's called "Locked.") I hope you are sufficiently self aware of your own hyper-sensitivity to intellectual if not other issues. I bet some of the things you read here almost cause you physical pain. ("I feel your pain.")

--Brant